first real wood real cribbage board on cnc

Dan Noren

Staff member
well, this is it, the first real, all up test of the cnc. a cribbage board for my brother. the only details at the moment are that it will be round, made out of birch, and use 2 different bits. i got the blank glued up right after the test of the 57 chevy.

Attachments

• 001 blank glued up.jpg
    001 blank glued up.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 28
as in all good things, lessons must be learned. today i learned that i used too wide (90 degree v bit) a bit, and went too deep. that messed up some nice birch (that may come into use later). so, back to the ol mdf. i started off with the carving of the emblem (learning that even a 60 degree bit is a bit on the wide side), then to cutting a decorative ring around the emblem (60 degree bit just right for this, but i went a bit shallow), then it was on to drilling the holes (using a different bit than the one i used for the cars, and found out too late), then making the profile cut, where i learned that it is nice to have clearance on both sides. just a mild bump on the right side, but enough to throw the cut ever so slightly off center. then we have the finished test board. i dropped this one off at my brother tommy's, as he was in the corps (pronounced kor (like the klingon), not corpse).

Attachments

• 006 finished board.jpg
    006 finished board.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 005 holes drilled.jpg
    005 holes drilled.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 21
  • 004 drilling the holes.jpg
    004 drilling the holes.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 003 cutting circle around emblem.jpg
    003 cutting circle around emblem.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 002 finished emblem.jpg
    002 finished emblem.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 19
  • 001 start of emblem carving.jpg
    001 start of emblem carving.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 21
yup, i think that with a more tapered bit, the eagle would have come out better. thanks vaughn. can't wait to see what my brother says. (how can one see what someone else says, when you need your ears to hear it?)

ok, here we go....

first i went to defense.gov/multimedia/web_graphics/, and downloaded the usmc emblem in black and white (you can get it in color too) as an eps file. then i opened a 10.5 x 10.5 inch file in cut2d, and imported the vector file. then i set up the tool path for the profile cut, and the inner limit for the set up for the holes. with everything in place and centered, i resized the emblem to fit. then i selected the tool, calculated the tool paths, and ran the test run. i adjusted the depth from .02, to .032, which gave a better result in the test run. this can be used on any of the emblems that they have there.

Attachments

• usmc 1.JPG
    usmc 1.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 5
  • usmc 2.JPG
    usmc 2.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 5
  • usmc 3.JPG
    usmc 3.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 5
  • usmc 4.JPG
    usmc 4.JPG