Shively's coat of arms

Now that the secrecy is over, I think I can post the pics of the process. Pics are posted in cronological sequence so no explanations needed ( or so I think).
Comment critics and suggestions welcome as always. Enjoy!
1.jpg3.jpg7.jpg9.jpg12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg15.jpg16.jpg17.jpg

Wish I could have seen it in person! :thumb: :thumb:

You put a ton of depth into that, really interesting to see how deep it was on the initial cuts.

Also found it interesting that you carved all of the acanthus on the one side before attacking the other side. Generally I work both sides of something like this at once, but that's quite possibly a confidence (or competence as the case may be) problem on my side. Did you always do it this way or did you grow into being able to do one half and then the other?

Very impressive Toni! I also wish I could have seen it in person, especially considering it would mean I would also see you again and finally meet your wife. Someday...

Wish I could have seen it in person! :thumb: :thumb:

You put a ton of depth into that, really interesting to see how deep it was on the initial cuts.

Also found it interesting that you carved all of the acanthus on the one side before attacking the other side. Generally I work both sides of something like this at once, but that's quite possibly a confidence (or competence as the case may be) problem on my side. Did you always do it this way or did you grow into being able to do one half and then the other?

To tell you the truth Ryan, this has been the first time that I carve that sort of decoration, I did carve it that way so that I could take the first side as a reference for the other as I didn't know how was it going to look at the end. Although it was somewhat daunting at the beginning I found it quite simple once I saw how to achieve it. maybe I'll prepare a demo of it for the next gathering as per the depth, I must admit that low relief carving is something that I have to improve on.

Very impressive Toni! I also wish I could have seen it in person, especially considering it would mean I would also see you again and finally meet your wife. Someday...

Thanks Bill, be reassured that it will happen sooner or later. I would have also liked seeing you and Rebecca again.

pictures don't do it justice.

Thanks Allen, picture taking is not one of my strong points

Toni, again, I cannot put into words our appreciation and love of the gift from you.

Folks, as others have said, pictures do not do it justice. It is beyond beautiful work, amazing, extraordinary, outstanding, all of those types of adjectives, put them all together and you get a small level of the appreciation I have and the work Toni did. It is currently here to my left, as we redo the entry way into the house it will find a place of honor so it is one of the first things people will see.

Thank you again Toni. When it gets its place of honor, I will post pictures of it.

Toni, again, I cannot put into words our appreciation and love of the gift from you.

Folks, as others have said, pictures do not do it justice. It is beyond beautiful work, amazing, extraordinary, outstanding, all of those types of adjectives, put them all together and you get a small level of the appreciation I have and the work Toni did. It is currently here to my left, as we redo the entry way into the house it will find a place of honor so it is one of the first things people will see.

Thank you again Toni. When it gets its place of honor, I will post pictures of it.

You overwhelm me Jon, you only needed to say " I like it thanks" and that is more than enough. Although highly appreciated the rest is icing on the cake ;) as you say many times. I was my pleasure making it for you and I learned a lot while doing it. So enjoy it!