How Far Has Technology Come?

I am retired and have a very dumb phone. My Son wants me to get a smart phone. I tell him I am considering down grading even my dumb phone.

I use to think the Dick Tracy wrist radio was the coolest thing. Now that we have them I consider them one of the cruelest things ever invented!!!

As I go out the door wife asks "You have your phone?" Yep!

Why didn't you answer? She never asked if it was turned on.

I seldom actually turn it on.

What if you got hurt? 50 people around me would be calling 911 and National Inquirer.

What if you died? I will be just as dead how ever longer it takes for notification.

Dan, I think the question is "has technology gone to far"? At least that's how you'd do a clickbait link....

It is pretty bizarre through isn't it.. I was talking to my 90 year old grandma a while back and asked her what she thought was most amazing, as I recall it was hot water on demand followed by TV. I don't think she's really seen a real smart phone in action though, the cell service where she is is pretty thin.

I'd settle for a dumber phone that works better as a phone ;-) When I retire, my iPhone is the first thing to go.

My 85 year old dad carries an iPhone. He doesn't use all of the features available, but he prefers using it for email (both personal and from the office) over his desktop or laptop computers.

He "retired" about 10 years ago, but he still goes into the office a few times a week (but only if they have billable work for him to do).

I am one of those flip phone minimalists

I don't have apps.

It does take pictures - but only 3 mp

no data stream - no internet - no GPS.

Works for me

I did seriously think about upgrading - but - downgrading is more appealing.

A few years back I had to carry a pager which I hated... invariably, my boss would page me when I was in the least position to call back... if I was out on a sales call and said I would be back in the office by about 4 pm, at 4:01 she would page me to see where I was. Then they came out with cell phones... most insidious invention ever made by man. I carry a flip phone only because my wife's health isn't the best and I need to be able to check in with here when I'm out...otherwise wouldn't have one. I don't want a smart phone cause I don't want any machine smarter than I am.

They're not that smart. Last 2 evenings mine didn't notice I was leaving and had to spend the night in the shop ...

Should I even start this? . . . .

The phones are still just as smart as they ever were. The people writing applications are getting lazier and sloppier. Its a race to the bottom and the beautiful dream of the internet has been reduced to something resembling a mix of watching TV, junk mail and telemarketer calls. But wait, let me tell you what I really think :).

Glenn your comment is deserving of a Pulitzer prize and Nobel prize for sensibility. Its so sad that it has so much truth.

Ed i cannot stop laughing at your post. Mine has spent days in my glovebox. Lol , it never called out to me.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Dan, I think the question is "has technology gone to far"? At least that's how you'd do a clickbait link...

I'd go with more of a "Newspaper Ad from the Past Tells the Future - And You Won't Believe How It Does It!" type of thing. :D

I can't imagine not having a smart phone anymore. I wanna thank all you flip-phone users for making me feel young again. :rofl:

Get a life!
Not a smartphone!
My phone is a 'hello/yes/no/bye' one. (has a switch that says f*** *** for telemarketers)
All I need.
Randals rotary dial thread would be a boon instead of the buttons that need a toothpick to select.
Phil