new cribbage board

Dan Noren

Staff member
finally got this one to work. all day yesterday it seemed like it was one thing or another went wrong. but today everything meshed. this board is for my brother's boss, inspired by the street rod shop he has. first item on the agenda was to get the big pocketing done, then on to drilling the holes, getting the profile cut done (the bane of my existence yesterday), the decorative line and skunk lines were engraved. then when it was done and taken off the cnc machine, ready to be turned loose, and finally the finished board. i had the odd idea to take the raised lettering and change them from straight sided, and run the 30 degree engraving bit along the edges, following the original tool path, but just above the bottom of the pocket. it gave the letters a nice tapered look that i liked. i also managed to trim the 57 coupe to size, and give it a quick coat of shellac. that and i tested out the pocketing for the tile insert for coasters that i want to make. busy day, neh? (see what you have to look forward to carol? lol)

Attachments

• 001 start of pocket.jpg
    001 start of pocket.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 002 pocket finished.jpg
    002 pocket finished.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 003 holes drilled.jpg
    003 holes drilled.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 004 start of profile cut.jpg
    004 start of profile cut.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 23
  • 005 profile cut finished.jpg
    005 profile cut finished.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 23
  • 006 circle decoration and skunk lines.jpg
    006 circle decoration and skunk lines.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 007 ready for separation.jpg
    007 ready for separation.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 008 finished board.jpg
    008 finished board.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 57 trimmed and shellaced.jpg
    57 trimmed and shellaced.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 28
thanks guys! (and carol in the garage logic non gender specific kind of way). carol, if you are interested, there is a gear generating program that i am using. gotta pay for the licence, but it is next to nothing. a very good program.

gave it to my brother's boss today over at the speedshop. he just loved it. kept asking questions about how it was made, and other things. liked the way the lettering turned out. said that with it angled like that, instead of at 90 degrees from the pocketing, it catches the light and adds a new dimension to it. he said that he was going to give it a quick spray with varnish to protect it from the greasy fingers in the shop.