Salt shaker and grinder combo

Chuck Ellis

I've had several people ask about the all in one salt shaker and pepper grinder combo... PSI has a kit on sale, so I bought 6 to try out... they look okay, not terribly hard to do, but I'm not sure they're my cup of tea... I have sold 2 of the 6 so far, but not sure I'll try to make any more... the sizes are pretty precise and I prefer to free wheel just a little... we'll see how they go over.

35-2078_0.jpg35-2085_0.jpg35-2081_0.jpg35-2084_0.jpg

These are bradford pear, cherry and two walnuts... all are 6" high and finished with polyurethane.

These last two have sold and are Spectraply, one in "Caribbean Wave" Blue, white and turquoise, the second is "Dark Aqua", blue and charcoal. Also finished in polyurethane.

35-2082_0.jpg35-2083_0.jpg

They all look nice from here, Chuck! I favor the shape and color of the cherry.

I haven't done any pepper/salt grinders yet but I've looked at those kits and wondered how they might work out.

Look nicely done Chuck,

I need to get the sets I have done before adding more.. but I can see the all in one being somewhat desirable from a space consideration.

How well does the pepper mill mechanism in these ones seem to work? It says ceramic so that sounds good... everyone seems to love the "crush grind" ones (which is what's on the current incomplete pile).

Those look great, Chuck! I like the shape I like the first 4 the best. I go for more natural looks. I have never turned any of them before. Might just have to see about that some day.

Beautiful job, Chuck. I turned about a dozen of these for Christmas presents a couple of years ago. I got really tired of them. Then LOML decreed that it was a piece of art and would never have salt or pepper in it, so I turned one more and filled it and put it on the counter for ME. I've used a lot of Spectraply on them, including mixing a Spectraply top with a hardwood bottom or vice versa. Everyone seemed to like the combos.

Steve

Beautiful job, Chuck. I turned about a dozen of these for Christmas presents a couple of years ago. I got really tired of them. Then LOML decreed that it was a piece of art and would never have salt or pepper in it, so I turned one more and filled it and put it on the counter for ME. I've used a lot of Spectraply on them, including mixing a Spectraply top with a hardwood bottom or vice versa. Everyone seemed to like the combos.

Steve

I get lots of attention with my spectraply pieces... unfortunately spectraply is getting really expensive... people always ask how or if I painted the stripes and the wood.