Bore scopes?

Ryan Mooney

Staff member
I'm looking for a relatively cheap bore scope for checking what's going on under a slab, but then got to thinking that it would also be usable as a turning scope for a hollowing setup (no I don't have a hollowing setup.. yet..).

Thread on using live video for turning:
http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?35678-Live-video-while-turning-interesting-ideas

Looking at something like this:
www.amazon.com/Million-Waterproof-Borescope-Endoscope-Inspection/dp/B00JERRES6
Its certainly cheap enough, but.. well.. its cheap enough.. so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these sorts of things and is the cheesy usb setup worth dropping the $20 on or should i scale up?

As some of the user pics showed (on amazon), the focus is only good on those about 2" to 4" from an object. I've got a similar one from amazon and you really don't get a good view from much further than that without some external lighting, but even then the focus is off.

I've only used the (much more expensive)DeWalt and Ridgid inspection cameras in the heating, air conditioning, and plumbing business. They worked OK and some had outputs that you could hook to a TV or larger monitor. They had built in lights and focused pretty good but unless you find one used it's not going to fit your search..... Good luck!