Project - Build a lathe

Dan Mosley

I was sitting around one morning and came across the website of Dale Winburn (Winburn.com) and looked closely at how he fabricated a bowl lathe. I found it to be interesting thing to play around with the possibilty of making one and thought i would be a fun project. I have written to him to ask a few questions about the sizes of things he used when he built it.
There is less than $100 in steel and would use box beam for the main upright
Dealerselectric.com - has motor/VSD packages $400 - thinking of 5 hp

I post this on AAW also but im reaching out to others that may not see it or belong to AAW

My question is really to communicate with others that have done the same - I have questions about the height - spindle with taper - motor size - variable speed hook up etc..........
Below is a picture form Dales website showing the one he made............................

Yell if you a interest in this area and thank you ahead of time for any help

Attachments

• BowlLathe_90.JPG
    BowlLathe_90.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 71
Looks like an interesting project. However, the rear support bolt strikes me as a bit less than should be. And, I'm sure you know that tool rest has to be honkin' sturdy. Keep us up to date with progress pics.

He did a great job of making his lathe I read about it some time ago. At one time I was thinking about making one. Several wood turners pointed out that there are times when you may need to mount the blank between centers to make it safe to turn. So having a regular lathe has it's advantages.

Have you considered purchasing a lathe? I know your looking at cost but your time is worth at least $20-$30 an hour. It doesn't take long for those hours to add up.

I am planning on purchasing one of the Grizzly lathes either the G0733 or the G0766. I have 5 Grizzly machines & have received good service from them.

Frank - Yes I agree the tool rest would be very strong

Bart - I have a Jet 1642 with 2hp now which meets all my needs really - this is just going to be a fun project and will take time to complete - I can pick up the parts and metal cheap enough between local shops and Ebay which have parts available also - I am going to make it so i can use a tail stock so it will be able to be held between centers if needed and its part of the planning - I have thought before about selling mine and buying another one with a larger swing but decided that I would probably not be turning anything that large very often - So what I thought was to build it and at the same time I would be able to make ti to my own specifications - Justt seems like a fun project once I get my plans down a bit better ................thanks for the comments

I like the idea Dan. 5hp may be monster overkill. 3hp feels like a great number in overall weight of the lathe and ability to turn anything up to and including moon rocks.

Looks like a fun project. Looking forward to watching. :thumb:

...However, the rear support bolt strikes me as a bit less than should be...

Structurally, that rear bolt has very little stress on it. All the real work is being done by the "foot" in the front, since the vast majority of the lathe's stresses are sideways, not front to back.

Why not turn the motor around with a shroud over the top so it runs cool and is out of your way?
A U shaped bracket over and under the bowl with a center for the other end could be fabricated easy enough and then "drop" out of the way for the finishing of a balanced bowl.

Interesting, have some students that are in woods and welding both. Had a boy graduate this spring that has the skills and ability to build this as well as would have been very interested. Will have to print this and save it for the future. Thanks for the information!

Jim - I agree 3 hp is probably plenty - there are sites (Ebay included) that sell motors and controlers and the price is not bad at all

Vaughn - as soon as i have my plan/drawings together with specs ill post it - I want to get everyones opinions prior to starting the acutal fabrication / build - that way I can make modifications

Jonathan - I got lost in your idea and not sure what you actually meant - the shroud i would build either way for safety - the U bracket - did you mean above and below the bowl as a safety shield like ?
or maybe i just am misunderstanding

Where im stuck at right now is on the headstock part of things - assuming i use 5 x 5 x 1/4 box steel tube for the vertical upright and 1/2" plate on top - stuck at that point now - thinking of having the spindle made from 3" round - length unknown at the moment - not sure on headstock assembly - arbor, bearings, housing, mounts - threads etc ( I will need a machine shop for this - have a friend that family has one so he will help if i supply what i want) - Pulleys sizes etc - then I can put the drawings together - Pillar blocks should be easy to get ..................................any ideas on these issues ?

Thanks Dan

Last edited:
The motor I would turn end for end and have it sticking out to the left of the frame with a "shroud or roof" over the top of it.

Think of a gear puller, ie: a U shape with a bolt in the middle, that bolt could become the other center. So you would extend the square tubing above the pillow block/axle of the lathe so two connection points are created, one above and one below the bowl blank with the center able to "pinch" the bowl until it is deemed safe enough to turn from the chuck.

The motor upon further review, not an issue as long as a roof with ventilation space is provided, location is fine.

The part it seems most folks get stuck on is the spindle, looks like Dale had access to a metal lathe to make his, otherwise either a replacement part or salvage would be the way to go I think from a cost perspective unless your friends machine shop is working gratis.

Personally I'd add more angular bracing to the lathe base although it may well not be needed, I think it would help dampen vibration some. I'd probably also fill the pillar with granite and epoxy or cement mix for the same reason. Very likely overkill, but overkill of often the way to go :)

Will be interested to see how you do the tail stock assembly....

Personally if I was building one I'd probably make the tool rest on a gate leg swing way assembly so you could turn pretty much all the way to the floor. Does the idea of turning something that big terrify me? Yes! But there are a few crazy projects it would make possible (and yes I'm aware of the outboard stand from jet and pm but.. there's that properly terrified bit ;).

Jonathan - ok i got the idea now .............. ill keep that in mind its a good idea - thanks

For the moment im focused on the spindle / headstock - which the hard part for me - initially im thinking 3" round - taper to 2 3/4 for 2 pillow blocks - mid part to remain at 3" - chuck end is
1 1/4 x 8 TPI (so I can use existing chucks if I want - although the large stuff will always be done with face plates and bolts for safety)
Machine shop friend wants exact layout - how long ? from each end how far in 2 3/4 for pillow blocks ? how far in for the 1 1/4 threaded ? Hollowed out what diameter for knock out ?

This is the part that I have to be spot on with and a bit lost at the moment................ill figure it out soon and then i can post some rough pics of sketches ............Thanks

I thought I replied to this yesterday but it did not show up. Anyway, I too was going to suggest looking at the Vega and even the VB36 for ideas for a bowl lathe. Both of these have the option of a tailstock. If you don't have a tailstock, You probably won't ever use a morse taper, just the threads for faceplates or chucks. I had a friend who built a lathe years ago that was more of an A-frame giving it a wider stance. He also decided to use a completely free standing tool rest so did not need ways or a banjo. It seemed like a big hassle to adjust compared to a banjo, but he made it work. He liked big turnings and had a 5 foot swing this way. This design looks good for average size turnings but looks a little off balance to me. Turning the motor around like some have suggested seems like a good idea. One more thing, even if you don't go for a morse taper, you should have your spindle center drilled in case you ever want to add a vacuum system. Good luck, I've always thought building a lathe could be a fun project.