Was Supposed to be a Box

Dave Hoskins

I had been drying this piece in the kiln for a few days and pulled it out this morning. Got it all nice and purdy and had a lip inside for a lid. I thought it would be unique to have this as a lidded vessel or box with bark on the lid. But, after running though some wood and having no success in getting a lid like I wanted, I finally decided it was going to be a bowl. Perfect for M&M's plain or peanut. I have not given up on the idea of a natural edge box of this basic shape, but I think I need to actually work on the lid more than the vessel, seeing the vessel is generally no problem. But, I figgered I might as well post this piece that is not necessarily a success but not a failure either. It's 7 3/4" in diameter, 6" in total height, and 3 3/4" deep. As I usually do I sealed the wood with walnut oil and finished it up with the walnut oil/shellac mixture. Hope you like it.

Jim, I still plead my case of it being osmosis! They just appear out of nowhere! Interesting idea, though if I hollowed out the base, I don't think the bark would let it sit well. I guess I will just leave it alone and see if anybody wants it as it is. If not, it can be a Christmas present later down the road.