deer grunt

I agree Stephen. I ordered a couple of the kits with the tubes so I will have them around. The next ones I plan on making all wood. A question for you. Do you turn yours on a mandrel? How do you drill out the tube? I guess that's a couple of questions.:D

I agree Stephen. I ordered a couple of the kits with the tubes so I will have them around. The next ones I plan on making all wood. A question for you. Do you turn yours on a mandrel? How do you drill out the tube? I guess that's a couple of questions.:D
John i drill mine on the lathe. Just put the blank in a chuck and drill all the way through. Then i'll put it on the mandrel. Usually i'll drill out a number of blanks at the same time. I know a lot of folks drill on a drill press, but mine is just a little bench top, and to me it's tons easier just to do every thing on the lathe. Seeing your, makes me want to go make some more as i still have a number of kits.:)

Thanks Stephen, I think I'll start drilling them on the lathe. Both times I've used the DP I've gotten some run out. I checked to see is the bit was perpendicular to the table and it is. It's probably something I'm doing. On the two I've posted I drilled about half way on the lathe reversed the blank and drilled the other way and they've met both times. I don't have enough travel on my tail stock to drill all the way in one pass.

Here's number two. This one is spalted maple and it's 6 inches long.

Thanks to you too Ted.

spalted maple.jpg

I've made several of those. Like others I don't use the plastic tube. I have drilled on lathe and dp. BTW, the grunt works. I once killed a buck that walked up within 15 feet of me while I was using the call.