pacing oneself

allen levine

now that the dog days of summer are upon us, with temps approaching 90 or above every day, humidity and dewpoints way too high, combined with an old body and poor air conditioning, its time to pace oneself with the woodworking.
Even though I only put in 2.5 hours today, mostly in AC, but outdoors, indoors, putting moldings up around new AC, I realized hey, I brought tools, compressor, up and down stairs, and if Im not under any pressure, theres no reason to push in this heat.
Noone should push in this heat, especially if you are overweight, have diabetes or high blood pressure, or any disorder aggrevated by heat.

Its not worth it.

this stuff creeps up on you, you think youre hydrating fine, then boom!, so everyone please pace yourself.

Don't be fooled because you feel ok today, and drank 3 bottled waters.

I know a lot of us have no or limited AC in our shops.

Good advice Allen. I've spent a total of about 4 hours in my shop this month and that time probably won't be increasing until we're back in the 80's here. I did spend a little time last night, but was in my office with the AC most of the time.

Very good advice! Like Darren I've not spent much time in the shop this summer. When I have, it's been in short spurts that don't allow for much to get done. Bring on fall and cool weather!! :D

My shop is outdoors. I made half a bowl and called it quits, after putting the lawn sprinkler on when I noticed the grass turning brown. Memsahib wanted me to mow the side lawn. I'll have to remind her I'm overweight and have diabetes. :D

any disorder aggrevated by heat.

Personally other than incipient laziness.. no..

Its not worth it.

But I'm definitely with you here!

Seriously, I've been mostly shut down for almost two months because the shop hasn't dropped under 90F, it was somewhat cooler in the evenings at least earlier this week and I left the door open overnight so its almost liveable out there now.

If nothing else it ends up being really annoying when my glasses are completely fogged over and covered in running sweat - probably unsafe as well.

Boy i wish i could be in my shop even with no air. I've been working out side the last few days, and tomorrow i will be up on a metal roof flashing a steeple on a church. Heck who ever put the roof on didn't do nothin but put the metal up to the steeple and caulk around it.:eek: Hoping i don't have to raise the steeple and go under it, but i'm afraid i most likey will have to.:(

Boy i wish i could be in my shop even with no air. I've been working out side the last few days, and tomorrow i will be up on a metal roof flashing a steeple on a church. Heck who ever put the roof on didn't do nothin but put the metal up to the steeple and caulk around it.:eek: Hoping i don't have to raise the steeple and go under it, but i'm afraid i most likey will have to.:(

You're a better man than I am. There simply ain't any way I could do that kind of work. :eek:

My shop is air conditioned and I wouldn't have it any other way!! After 20 years working ON air conditioners, it's time to work IN the air conditioning!! :thumb:

I have a small unit in the window of the garage/shop, when its 75 outside and not that humid, it keeps it comfortable, 80 and not humid, still ok inside. when its 90 and 80% humidity, the unit doesn't help much.
I climbed up a ladder today and when I got to the 3rd step, my glasses fogged over from the humidity and heat that's a few feet over my head.
incredible difference.