Late Night Visitor

There was a guy on the pen forum that made pen blanks out of those little guys. The blanks sold for quite a lot. Made a neat looking pen.

Use to have those around where I live. Find one under almost every rock you'd turn over. Have not seen one years now, do not know where they all went.

...Have not seen one years now, do not know where they all went.

Apparently, they all moved to New Mexico. :D I've lived here off and on for 35 or so years and had only seen one in al that time until about January of this year. Since then, we've found 13 in or around our house.

Isn't that the New Mexico state bird?

Ryan's right...the state bird is the roadrunner. Very cool birds. Meep-meep!

800px-Greater_Roadrunner_(Geococcyx_californianus)_(3399096675).jpg

We have one or two that visit our back yard regularly to feast on the field mice and kangaroo rats that are attracted to the birdseed that the doves scatter on the ground underneath my wife's bird feeders.

The state insect is the tarantula hawk, which I've never seen. Good thing, too, because the shotgun holes in the walls might be hard to explain to guests:

8s0DGu3.gif

Kill'n crickets is bad luck!

When kids, mt brother got stung by a scorpion. I cried, thought he would die, always been told their sting would kill you. He didn't, fact it wasn't as bad as a bee sting.

Ted a picture flashed through my mind. I may never recover,,,, you had that bowl on your head also....:eek::eek::fetch::chair:

Kill'n crickets is bad luck!

When kids, mt brother got stung by a scorpion. I cried, thought he would die, always been told their sting would kill you. He didn't, fact it wasn't as bad as a bee sting.

Ted a picture flashed through my mind. I may never recover,,,, you had that bowl on your head also....:eek::eek::fetch::chair:

I'll assure you it's hotter than a bee sting... when I was about 10 visiting Grandparents in east Texas we had a migration moving across her yard... cousin and I were running around the house - barefoot of course - and I stepped on one... lt was like stepping on a hot coal. Ended the chase around the house.

Later in life at about 12, I bent over the top of a hog feeder to scoop some corn and leaned over one on the rim... he popped me in the belly just beside the belly button... I forgot about the corn.... again, like leaning over a hot coal. Sixty odd years later I still remember those zaps... most of the bee stings I've forgotten about.

Don't know for sure, but have heard that the little tan colored bark scorpions are the most dangerous...

Last edited:
I'll assure you it's hotter than a bee sting...

Depends on the scorpion, we had some in Hawaii that were definitely in the bee sting territory (rather spicy bee sting territory, but still). Those are (fortunately) the only type I've been hit by as reports on some of the other ones sound a whole lot more unpleasant.

Vaughn,
the exterminator we use spray for crickets to keep the scorpions away, says it's their favorite food. get rid of the food source and they don't come around. just a little tid bit in case ya did't know.

Thanks, Don. I've heard that about scorpions liking crickets, but we've seen and heard only one cricket in or around the house since we moved in. Yesterday I did put boric acid powder in a variety of places, including inside all the wall switches and outlets in the kitchen and bathrooms.

Funny you should mention the blacklight, Don. I saw UV flashlights for sale at Lowe's yesterday when I was picking up some other stuff. Thought of buying one, but didn't want to spend the $25 they wanted for it. I just now mentioned the blacklight idea to LOML, and she said "I say if you can't see them, they're not there." :D