Lovely piece of spalted maple...

They keep getting better and better, Roger. That's a pretty piece of wood, and nary a tool mark in sight, despite the softness of the wood. :thumb: I see a few little spots of tearout, but those are hard to avoid in spalted maple. (It takes either a very experienced hand with a sharp gouge or a patient application of 80 grit to get rid of tearout.) It might be time to start looking at something like a donut chuck so you can get a bit more of a finished look on the bottoms of your bowls. The tenon works as a foot, but in some cases you might want no foot, or at the minimum you might want to be able to remove the jaw marks from the foot.

All in all, you're doing great, buddy!

Beautiful! Making this on my CNC would be a pain so following your pictures is becoming an unhealthy addiction for me. I'm really trying to stay focused on the CNC setup, oh look another cool bowl!! :doh:

Beautiful! Making this on my CNC would be a pain so following your pictures is becoming an unhealthy addiction for me. I'm really trying to stay focused on the CNC setup, oh look another cool bowl!! :doh:

Robert, come to the Dark Side. We have cookies! :wave:

What sucked me into the Vortex was seeing hollow forms. ;) I just had to have me some of that.

They keep getting better and better, Roger. That's a pretty piece of wood, and nary a tool mark in sight, despite the softness of the wood. :thumb: I see a few little spots of tearout, but those are hard to avoid in spalted maple. (It takes either a very experienced hand with a sharp gouge or a patient application of 80 grit to get rid of tearout.) It might be time to start looking at something like a donut chuck so you can get a bit more of a finished look on the bottoms of your bowls. The tenon works as a foot, but in some cases you might want no foot, or at the minimum you might want to be able to remove the jaw marks from the foot.

All in all, you're doing great, buddy!

Thanks, Vaughan! I am not sure what a donut chuck is. I have cole jaws, which I have used a couple of times when I had to return to the bottom after I had hollowed out the bowl. Will they do? I think they are cole jaws. Penn State refers to them as Jumbo Jaws.

Yeppers, Cole jaws and jumbo jaws are the same thing, and yes, they will help in finishing a bowl bottom. They are not quite as secure as a donut chuck, but they are easy to use.

Donut chucks are pretty easy to make. Here's one video I found, but there are other videos and plans out there as well. A Google search for 'donut chuck' got lots of hits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-10dXclT_4

And here's a good overview article by John Lucas showing a variety of ways to work on the bottom of a bowl:

http://www.ptwoodturners.org/Tips and Handouts/Methods and Jigs for Reverse Turning Bowls.pdf