crib completed

Chris Mire

awhile back i was asking questions in the finishing forum about safe finishes for a crib i was making for my lil man who is on the way. well after some thought and research i decided to just stick with a finish i know, minwax satin poly, their website claims all their finished are non toxic, and mommy promised to whip some tush if he tried to take a taste of the bed anyway.

so after 2 coats of an olympic oil based stain "mocha brown" we had the coverage we wanted, really dark and i preceded to apply 3 coats of the satin rubbing with 0000 steel wool between coats. it came out pretty good, mommy is very happy and that is the most important thing.

it's a little different than most cribs, it has a modern feel which we like and it has an integrated bookcase on one side.

I used alder and 3/4 alder ply. the rails are mortise and tenons done with the delta mortising attachment for my drill press. which was interesting because I had to move the table of the bench top drill press out of the way to be able to get the rails under the bit. took a little figuring and thankfully only a one time setup.

everything else was put together with biscuits and lots of glue. the side opposite of the bookcase is actually two panels of 13/16" alder rails and stiles with a 3/4" ply panel, tongue and groove construction. i wanted it to look thick but not have the weight of solid wood that size.

anyway, enough babbling, here it is.

i am now working on an armoire and changing table with hutch to go with them. hoping to be in the finishing stage this weekend. fingers crossed.

IMG_2189.jpg

DSC_00140005.jpg

DSC_00150006.jpg

DSC_00160007.jpg

IMG_2191.jpg

thanks for looking
chris

Nicely done, Chris. I like the bookcase idea. I'll bet it get a lot of stuff
packed onto it over the years. And congrats on the imminent addition. :thumb:

Great job Cris! :thumb:

I like the book cases too. I love to see a child with a book.

DT

thanks everyone.

matt, i used the kit that goes with the wood magazine 3 in one bed so that i could make this into a toddler bed later by taking off one of the rails and replacing it with a stretcher at the bottom. mommy didn't want the railings to move and that made it a little easier.

thanks
chris