Router for PC dovetail jig

Jay Lock

Hi everyone

I broke down and bought a PC jig in the spring, used in once with my Festool plunge router. It was a bit tricky setting up the depth, but my first resuts "weren't bad" for someone who had never used one. So I"m wondering what is the best value for a fixed base router that will take PC guides that I can use to "dial in" the setting and just leave it alone so I don't have to waste time setting up the router every time I use the jig.

Thanks

Last edited:
I use the pc 690L

Last time I was on Amazon.com there was some factory rebuilds for $85.00

I almost got a couple more just because of the price.

But I have several spares already

Steve

Thanks, if you 've got a link to that price I'd appreciate it since I'm not finding anything less than about $119

Jay

Steve

Thanks, if you 've got a link to that price I'd appreciate it since I'm not finding anything less than about $119

Jay

I'll go look again.

They also had Hatachi single speeds on sale then.
I bought two for my pocket cutter demo units. So far, they are nice routers. They also use the pc guide bushings.

I'll be back in a bit.

Bonus...when I bought my Delta 15" planer there were several free gifts to choose from you got for purchasing the planer. I chose the PC 690LR. I have the PC 4212 on my Christmas wishlist (which I know my bride will get) so I can use this router as a dedicated router for that jig.

Since I know nothing about the jig, would it be beneficial to have 2 routers set up as a dedicated tool(s) for each set up? I am assuming there are two different cutters to use making dovetails.

Steve,

I have 2 690LRs for dovetailing. Changing templets, bits, is a real pain. I lucked out finding the one on craigslist, but bargains are out there for a second one.

Thanks everyone, well there are LOTS of sources I didn't know about.

Steve, for a half blind joint you only need one bit with the PC jig.

Jay

don't mean to hijack, but steve, what are you referring to when you say pocket cutter demo units? :huh:

thanks
chris

A friend and I have developed a pocket cutter to fill the gap between a kreg unit, and a 8-900.00 machine.
I sent Jim Hagar one just yesterday to try it out.
I have been using one in my shop for several months now to get the bugs worked out.
I can't market them here, but heres a pic.

Last edited:
I bought a new, in the box, "D" handle for $50 on craigslist. Here's one of my 690s on it, and I need to decide to modify the cord, or just live with it tied up?

Thanks, Tod...I was hoping for a comment. So I guess it doesn't get in the way that much, even for use on a dovetail jig? I mean from a "hassle" factor...

Last edited:
greg, that`s a question only you can answer......but be sure to factor in the hassel of extending the cord again should you want to use the router elsewhere......tod