Culling the project list and tossing things out

Rob Keeble

it struck me while away that its time in life to get real about the long list of projects and the clutter that comes with hording bits and pieces for the unfinished or future projects.

I saw this with my Dad he had loads of stuff that just never got done. I am thinking better to get some done and enjoy them that diluting ones effort trying to get too many done and getting none done.

what say the family.

do u have a load of projects. ?

Do u find things are taking u longer than they used to?

i have so many things i still want to do....is it all mind over matter???

Share ur thoughts please i need some alternative views.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Ha, have we met...lol

I need to do a bunch of culling. Did it once before, after reading a book called "Simplify Your Life: 100 Ways to Slow Down and Enjoy the Things That Really Matter" by Elaine St. James. She had a good perspective on a lot of the little things we do out of habit, but really made you question of you needed to...worth the read, it's an easy one.

Edit: updated book title/author...I was way off on that one. :)

Last edited:
Story of my life. I haven't culled yet, but I'm trying to work my way through them one at a time and to refrain from adding more. Some how the list just gets longer.

do u have a load of projects. ?
Yes

dDo u find things are taking u longer than they used to?
Maybe? I'm not sure if its actuality or perception (time moves faster as you get older). It seems everyone has less free time than they used to though (maybe that's just a change of venue though?).

i have so many things i still want to do....is it all mind over matter???

Well.. if you don't mind, it don't matter?

When I can stick to it (rarely) I've had pretty good luck with the "finish this one before the next one". Often that falls afoul of arbitrarily induced prioritization (aka extensions to the honedew list). There is also the motivation problem, I easily get to the point where it all just seems overwhelming and you give up trying cause it seems kind of hopeless. Like when you'll need to spend 4 hours cleaning the shop before you can get to do 2 hours of work..

I make one project after the other, although that doesn't mean that in between I'm not doing anything, As I travel a lot due to my job I use most of my flying and waiting time sketching and ideating other pieces, that leaves me with more things on the "to do" than in the "done" list. And here I'm only talking about ww projects.

I found I enjoy things more when I am more focused. I still have plenty to do until I die; those things are just mostly woodworking with a few fixups around the house salted in. I let most of the other hobbies go because in trying to do more than I can, I only do less than I want.

No way I'm culling. You cull, the list gets short, you finish it all, you die!

My father is going through the culling process now. I am needing to. I find, IMHE that life throws you a curve ball first, and typically a health issue (either yourself or someone you care for), throws up plans before ones done with their list (getting rid of some, isn't the same as never finding another to do project).

Yes I cull the shop. The next thing I know it's right back where I started. I feel we should always have something planned for the future. Just cause we're getting older doesn't mean we have to stop living and loving. It gives me something to look forward to when I get up in the morning. As I tell my better half I have yesterday's list to do. Maybe nothing happens but that's OK tomorrow is another day. As long as the health holds up I'm satisfied with what I can do or not.

David,

I've got so many projects , after the fire the list doubled. Jarrod is taking care of a big one. Getting the hunting room put together with shelves and organizing the contents.

I just did a list of Jobs we have going right now and it added up to 20. Hard to realize until I made the list.

Last edited:
You two don't hunt, do ya LOL

Good point Dave, I'll try that next time.

Sure honey I've been culling the wood. I culled this piece here from my cousin, and this pile from the neighbors woodpile and this from that estate sale and this pile from that pile of ebony and..

New planes? Oh no I culled these from a yard sale!

My scourge is collecting wood with the inevitable "I have a plan for it sweetie!". Having tired of pens...I have two new uses for wood blanks...darn it :(

My scourge is collecting wood with the inevitable "I have a plan for it sweetie!". Having tired of pens...I have two new uses for wood blanks...darn it :(

Maybe I should start turning pens...:huh:...never have, but I have TONS of figured wood that would make some pretty ones.

So . . . we haven't seen Rob check back in here(?). Has he forsaken the culling process? I read an article on preparing to 'sell your house/move'. It discussed the realities of packratting and philosophical adjustments. I am trying some of this in the shop.

When I have something in my hands and I just don't seem to have ANYWHERE to put it, when I keep moving it from place to place as I need the currently occupied place to do actual work, I am supposed to ask myself "If I were moving today, is this thing really worth packing, moving, unpacking and then finding a place for at the other end!?!".

If the answer is no, out it goes. If the answer is yes, then something else has to go to make room for this invaluable, guaranteed-to-use-it-someday, irreplaceable, it-was-too-good-to-pass-up, piece of whatever :rofl:

Glenn, on occasion the culling process can, but not always require a moderate consumption of alcohol. I'd surmise this maybe what has befallen Rob! :rofl: