getting really really really annoyed with photovcarve

Bill and Dan are your two machines exactly the same in every way including power supplies.

Are you both using the same motor driver shields on your Arduinos. Same versions??

I noticed there are two versions of this Grbl stepper motor driver out. Do u both have same version?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Bill and Dan are your two machines exactly the same in every way including power supplies.

Are you both using the same motor driver shields on your Arduinos. Same versions??

I noticed there are two versions of this Grbl stepper motor driver out. Do u both have same version?

We have the same Arduino Uno processor card and Gshield driver card. I used NEMA23 motors on all axes. I believe Dan has NEMA17.

same processor card (updated to latest version of software), upgraded to grbl .9 (last night as well), i have the nema 23's on the x and y axis, and the stock 17 on the z axis. other than that, pretty much the same.

yup, we had to update it in order to update the grbl. went to 1.6.5.

Interesting. The latest Arduino IDE is 1.7.6.

I've been on grbl 0.9i for several months. I didn't see any big differences other than some parameter assignments. What did Inventables say should be improved going to 0.9?

I did do a post that Tapatalk did not post in it i asked if you both have the same power supplies and if you got them with the cnc or purchased them from a different source and what voltages are the outputs?

I did do a post that Tapatalk did not post in it i asked if you both have the same power supplies and if you got them with the cnc or purchased them from a different source and what voltages are the outputs?

The SO2 kit included a 24V power supply for the gShield/steppers and a 48V for the spindle. I added a 12VDC supply for cooling fans and a 5VDC in case I need it for future relay operation.

Not trying to be a pain but would you happen to know the current rating for that 24v supply and is it a switch mode or old school transformer stepdown regulator type?
Does it only have one output?

By the way just for your own interest take a look at the specs for the motors in particular the voltage speed torque graphs.

Not trying to be a pain but would you happen to know the current rating for that 24v supply and is it a switch mode or old school transformer stepdown regulator type?
Does it only have one output?

By the way just for your own interest take a look at the specs for the motors in particular the voltage speed torque graphs.

Here's a link to the power supplies. I have the 24V 10A and 48V 7.29A

I have read way too much information on the steppers to post all of it here.

Dan, here are a couple of photos of my carving of the PVC gcode file you sent. Disregard the holes you see. I used a scrap of MDF for this test.

The first photo is directly off my SO2 with some light sanding. I wiped some dark walnut stain on it, then rubbed it off immediately.

DN_pop_a.jpg DN_pop_d.jpg

I used a 1/8" 30° engraving tool that I had filed the tip to about a 0.4mm flat. Cutting time was 1:35:52 using UGS to drive my machine. There were no drifting or wandering cuts.

Edit: The spindle started at 0,0 in the lower left, moved to the lower right to start the carve and progressed line by line smoothly tracing diagonally until it finished in the upper left. It appears the PVC software did its job of providing a good toolpath.

Edit2: Since I was testing the PVC toolpath, I didn't go through any preparation steps on the MDF, like 2-3 coats of sealer. Had I done that, the image in the second photo would have been much clearer. Sealer would have kept the stain from soaking in too much, but the carved areas would have taken it well.

Last edited: