Procrastination

I've been trying to get past it. I don't think it's something you can conquer all at once.

Everyday I just try to get a little more done than I did yesterday. But there's so much around here that needs doing. I am making progress though.

I'd rather be a PRO than an AMATEUR!

From Urban Dictionary:

Crastination

Undefined use of time, Free time, Vague outcomes, Doodling, Occupying yourself with tasks unrelated to your purpose, Generally wasting time and other fun pursuits. Procrastination is the work that is done to avoid the work that is supposed to be done. AKA, Saturday mornings. See also Crastination and Procrastination.

Historically, The word arises from the experience where a person becomes a Pro at Crastination by spending hours doing very little, or being off track more than one is on track. With the invention of rubber tires, we realized that tracks don't really matter any more so being off track was no longer a culturally shunned experience. Hence, Pro-Crastination was born.

Saturday mornings, you and I engage in crastination by watching TV rather than vacuuming. We become better and better at crastinating and that is procrastination.

Talking about it seriously, apart from the fact that not procastinating needs self discipline, I've read somewhere that it takes about a 1 or 2 seconds to our brain to take a concious decision. So the trick to do what is required instead of procastinating is start moving inmediately we have decided or thought about to do something, do not wait or after that short lapse of time procastination invades us.

I do not know if it is right or wrong but I've tried it and it works, I think that it could be summarized as "Don't think, move!!

Well on a serious note (to quote Toni) my procrastination comes from reflecting on the way too numerous times i did act only to find i had fooled myself into thinking i knew enough or had the skill to do something and then did not meet my own expectation.
I keep hearing my Dad saying "act in haste and repent at your leisure" but there are numerous counters to that saying like "a stitch in time saves time" or my favorite given age "make hay while the sun shines" which I view as a huge consideration as we get older.

My knee op was a real wake up call. To me so many people put off doing things thinking they will do it when retired. But I have watched a friend who now retired is afraid of spending a dime despite having much, and so is now handicapped by this outlook to the point that life is a misery.
Issue i see is where is the balance.??????

I like Glenns view of single hobby, as much as it makes rational sense, I could never be that disciplined.
Might have been different had i grown up here and had more opportunity to experience things which many of you have known of your whole life, but there is so much more to be able to do and experience here and the web fuels that fire by making it more accessible. And despite what people say about them a place like Harbor Freight makes adequate tools for certain hobby tasks very affordable.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Oh I would say we are in a golden age for hobbiests of all flavors. The availability of tools, ingredients, and knowledge in so many areas is simply astounding.

In some ways this is part of the problem. A plethora of choice makes the choosing harder. In some (many) cases I find myself dithering between this, that, and the other thing to be my most common form. Glens strategy does seem to work, but requires more discipline than I think I possess. Setting artificial deadlines for individual projects is something that sometimes works as long as I can bring myself to believe them.

I also find my surroundings matter, if other people are doing things I'm more apt to. If the folks I'm hanging with are sitting around drinking beer and not getting much done.. well there I am. Actually having anyone around is generally counterproductive for me, I know others operate differently. One of the problems I have I'd that if I'm interrupted it takes a while to fully regain focus (about 30m or so) so if I'm in zone on something someone asking a question or saying something every half hour means not much of anything gets done.

There's more here, maybe I'll get around to it later..

Very good thread going on here. Love the sarcasm as well as the serious sides of the issue brought forth. Last year without heat in my shop my winter production was nil. Summer time was the only time I could work on projects before the shop was built. So am working at getting the lean to empty and furnace installed and dust collection installed outside of the shop for noise concerns. Energy is what I find I run out of. Getting up before 5 am, driving am bus route, teaching all day, driving pm bus route, evening chores, now splitting firewood, helping mom and dad with whatever and then bed. I am not complaining, just looking for some of Allen's energy!

My knee op was a real wake up call. To me so many people put off doing things thinking they will do it when retired.

Truer words.... I had a lot of things I would have liked to do, but now physical limitations prevent me from doing them. I should have had a motorcycle and a pilot's license for the last 40 years, but I haven't, and now won't. It's too late for regret when you are 65. Do it now.

Oh I would say we are in a golden age for hobbiests of all flavors. The availability of tools, ingredients, and knowledge in so many areas is simply astounding.

In some ways this is part of the problem. A plethora of choice makes the choosing harder. In some (many) cases I find myself dithering between this, that, and the other thing to be my most common form. Glens strategy does seem to work, but requires more discipline than I think I possess. Setting artificial deadlines for individual projects is something that sometimes works as long as I can bring myself to believe them.

I also find my surroundings matter, if other people are doing things I'm more apt to. If the folks I'm hanging with are sitting around drinking beer and not getting much done.. well there I am. Actually having anyone around is generally counterproductive for me, I know others operate differently. One of the problems I have I'd that if I'm interrupted it takes a while to fully regain focus (about 30m or so) so if I'm in zone on something someone asking a question or saying something every half hour means not much of anything gets done.

There's more here, maybe I'll get around to it later..

I understand this problem... as long as I'm alone, I work and don't talk... soon as my friend comes over, I want to stand and talk, so no work gets done.

Not to get religious or anything, but I remember part of an old joke about a fellow who died and when to Heaven... he didn't know where he fit in, so St. Peter was taking him around to various rooms with people doing various things that they weren't allowed to do on earth... one sect couldn't dance, so every one was dancing, one sect couldn't have music in church, every one was playing some instrument, etc... then there was the sect that was just sitting and rocking... they weren't allowed any of the pleasures of life on earth, and just didn't know where to start. (That's the punch line and gist of the joke, don't remember the exact wording)... If I have people around when I'm working, I just don't know where to start.

-snip-
To me so many people put off doing things thinking they will do it when retired. But I have watched a friend who now retired is afraid of spending a dime despite having much, and so is now handicapped by this outlook to the point that life is a misery.
Issue i see is where is the balance.?

I think that there is no balance but learning to live the present rather than complaining about the past or worrying about the future.
Not wanting to sound pessimistic here but I've seen already two younger workmates dying of cancer and another one who is fighting it. So waiting to do things we want or like to do, may end in not doing them while those that we have to do we struggle to get them done at any price.

I know a poem (I don't remember the author) that sounds something like this. The past is history, the future is still to come, and life is a gift; that's why we call it "present"

So we'd better learn to live the present, doing those things that we have to do, mixing with them those that we'd like to do. We've only one life to live and most of us are half (or more) way through it, so...:guitar::biker::drool::five::beer::bbq::wedding::champagne::woot::bliss:

Last edited:
Being by far the senior lady here, I most like Toni's comment about keep moving. Don't let the first two seconds pass with inactivity. That said, of course, I procrastinate. Part of the human condition. And I agree that not putting off things is a good strategy.

However, I don't agree that you should give up dreams. You may not be able to accomplish some things in the way you envisioned but that doesn't necessarily mean is cannot be done another way. Ride a motorcycle? Well, if two wheelers don't work, get a trike! There are some pretty spiffy ones on the market. Fly an airplane? There may be health restrictions, but age isn't one of them for the license. Take lessons. You are flying, just not alone and you may astonished yourself with what you are able to do. Wanna do CNC? Good! Lots of kits out there and they WILL keep your brain engaged!

The brain has to play for the body to be healthy. So give it some toys and full steam ahead! Did you notice that procrastination is less likely to occur when you are having fun? And everything in moderation. Good food, some exercise, enough sleep, something to tantalize the brain plus a positive attitude equals a fun life. This from one of the seniors here.

Good friend from many years ago (now deceased) once asked me what were some of my 'somedays.' I replied, "What's a 'someday'?" He said, "You know, someday I am gonna to this or that." One of mine was flying. BTDT. Huge fun. Other interests now. Another was riding a motorcycle. BTDT twice. Also huge fun. Now in my seventies, have decided riding a motorcycle is this crazy traffic is silly. Getting back into CNC because there is an itch and I like to make things. Building a house because the opportunity is here and I have always wanted to. Working a day job I love in spite of many in authority said I couldn't. Not good words to wave in front of me!

I don't do any of those things like I would if I were in my thirties. How could I enjoy the age I am if I yearn for a different age?

Go for it, whatever it is. Burnin' sunlight here! Think from a John Wayne movie. :)