Plastering progress

John Dow

Former Member (at his request)
A few pics of the first room we're going to have finished -- the laundry room. We're both looking forward to not having to go to the laundrymat any more!

So far so good.

Last edited:
Looking nice, John. I like the curves going into the window openings. :thumb: I'm assuming you've got the house dried in?

Lookin good John.
First coat? Final coat?
How thick was it applied?

Steve

John,

Looks very nice. I bet you will be glad when it's done... Interesting about the curved window sides, sills....I was just watching "Homes Across America" this morning, and they had an older classic home with the same windows! The owner said it not only added to the style of the home, the light actually curved around and the room was brighter than a normal square window would be. I don't know if that's really true, but they sure look nice. :thumb:

Look forward to more pics.

Greg

Should've made it a bit clearer, first pic was the first coat, structo-lite and sand with a little gypsum plaster added to make it cure within a reasonable time. Second pic is the second coat, Imperial basecoat, third pic (third coat) is more Imperial worked smooth on the sill, and Diamond finish veneer on the sides of the windows. The two pics in this one are the two sides of the window before plastering to give you an idea of what's behind. This stuff gets pretty thick in spots, maybe 1 1/2" at the thickest - where there's extra fill to smooth out the straw, and roughly 3/4" or a little less at the thinnest points.

Greg's right about the light, we've got it painted now too, and it's a bright little room, in spite of that window facing north with a 2 1/2' roof projection. We've been doing very little mudding and sanding ( I hate sanding, who doesn't). There's a room or two where we were always going to paint, rather than tinting the finish plaster, and those we finished conventionally. After some experimenting, we dropped the tinted plaster idea but decided to plaster all the walls, since its faster than mud and sanding. Not exactly following USG's recommended scheme, but if it all falls off in 10 years I'll just redo being older and wiser, if probably somewhat weaker.

Last edited:
ain`t `nuthin looks like hand trowled plaster....nice job john!
are you applying wire over the drywall before the stucco?

No wire over the drywall, just over straw where we want to form curves & on the outside of the wall for the stucco. Over most of the drywall we're using straight plaster, which bonds really well as long as it hasn't started to cure during application.

So it looks like you are getting plastered regular like John :D :thumb:

Nice job, I'll bet most will never know your house is a hay bail construction.......... until you tell them! :wave:

Should be really great when done!