in ER

Out of ER. Admitted to the hospital at 1 AM. Waiting on some decision. Will lose a little toe and life will permanently be altered withe needles, tests, injections. Food choices will no longer get the job done.

But I ain't rolling over and sliding on banana peels to the great beyond. Ain't done here yet. Stuff to do. Things to make. Friends to meet. Just sayin'.....

Thanks so much for your thoughts and prayers.

Nothin' says you gotta have ten toes to build a house. If you keep your chin up you'll never notice.... and pedicures should now be cheaper! Positive thoughts for fast healing.

Out of ER. Admitted to the hospital at 1 AM. Waiting on some decision. Will lose a little toe and life will permanently be altered withe needles, tests, injections. Food choices will no longer get the job done.

But I ain't rolling over and sliding on banana peels to the great beyond. Ain't done here yet. Stuff to do. Things to make. Friends to meet. Just sayin'.....

Thanks so much for your thoughts and prayers.

I had a few close calls of that nature. It's scary. But losing a little toe isn't the worst that could happen. Take care to follow all the instructions for maintaining your feet, so it doens't get worse. More prayers on their way.

Wow I am in a state of shock catching up here. All the best wishes to you Carol hope things turn around at the hospital.
Any idea of what caused this, unless i am missing something you must have stood on something real bad to go downhill so fast. Anyhow thinking of you.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Carol your in my prayers always. Good to know it was not worse. Glad it was just one little PIGGY, Good friends father had half his foot taken yesterday morning and they might have to take a lot more.
Thing is it could have been avoided. Glad your on top of this.
God Bless

A thing about this and that. Some regular emails not from you folks) have been berating me not dwelling on the diabetic side of this. To dwell on things that could have been avoided is counterproductive to dealing with the realities that now present themselves. Even in the hospital I am being treated as a diabetic with an infected foot as opposed to a person with an infected who will still be a diabetic when I leave the hospital!

Priorities, people! Because of this attitude, no one tells me anything. Surgeon says That surgery will be done but not when or what we are waiting on. I don't do well as a mushroom in life. In the dark and piled deep with....well, you get the idea. How can a person get necessary information to make wise decisions going forth when the perspective taken is that all of this is my own fault and I deserve what I get? This is not a philosophy class here. Lets confine finger pointing to our own bathroom mirrors.

As for how this got started, begin with one blistered toe that would never send anyone to the doctor to begin with. When things got out of hand- last Thursday - and so here I am.

You are all caught up. You've let me rant. Thanks for being my brothers and sisters and caring about me. It is hard to explain how much that means to me. To hear you admit to your own faith and indulge in prayers for me is totally awesome. Thank you.

Remember, you can hold a good woman down only so long! The CNC awaits, not to mention a few other things. :rolleyes:

Got your back sis. Just my take...surgery on Monday because they hate to come in on the weekend. Gonna be tons of antibiotics pre and post. Just what they do. PT and OT will probably see you. They are usually amazing people that get you in shape to meet the world again. Be specific and supportive of what they are doing for you...let them know your lifestyle and needs, they will adapt your therapy to those needs. Treat them well...they will help support your future!

A thing about this and that. Some regular emails not from you folks) have been berating me not dwelling on the diabetic side of this. To dwell on things that could have been avoided is counterproductive to dealing with the realities that now present themselves. Even in the hospital I am being treated as a diabetic with an infected foot as opposed to a person with an infected who will still be a diabetic when I leave the hospital!...

They’re treating you as a diabetic first and foremost because frankly, you are one! As a diabetic, you’ve got to pay attention to minor injuries right away – or they’ll become ma-jor ones like you now have. Foot and lower leg injuries are particularly susceptible to inflammation/infection/ GANGRENE(!), which it sounds like you may now have. Is it likely that the upcoming surgery is to amputate that toe?

As a fellow diabetic, I know full well how important it is to take care of minor injuries – especially on my feet, where blood circulation is typically at its poorest. I see my podia-trist every couple months – and right away if an injury persists.

I’m not much of a believer in the power of prayer, but I do believe in taking care of one’s self, instead of praying over an injury. Perhaps that’s part of helping your god help you?

To emphasize the importance of being seen as a diabetic – and a patient, - and taking care of your own self, a diabetic friend of mine in California ignored his blackened toes. First surgery removed all of them. Follow-up several months later removed his foot. Six months later his leg was amputated above the knee. All this stemmed from a small cut he got on a couple toes while going barefoot in his own yard.

Take care of yourself!

Ignore the "typhoid Mary's" and just get healed up. You know who to pay attention , and follow there instructions. Prayers for you for fast healing.
David

I have diabetes, and have had it for 49 years. The best thing non-diabetics can do when something like this happens, is to express their sympathy, bring flowers and cards to the hospital AND SHUT THE HELL UP ABOUT WHAT THEY THINK MAY BE THAT INDIVIDUAL'S RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR CONDITION. Do you think you know something about it, you who have never taken a blood glucose reading, or injected half a CC of insulin? Do you have to assess what is in your meal, and how much insulin you should take or how much of it you should eat? Do you check your feet regularly for any sign of a problem? Do you worry that when a large floater appears in your eye, you may be about to lose your eyesight? Have you ever taken your socks off at night and found your toe turning black, even though it was OK the morning before? Those things have happened to me, and people did tell me it was my own fault for not looking after myself. And I wondered how they were making out with their non-existent diabetes.

These things can be prevented? Bull! By and large, they sneak up on you a little at a time, and the best diabetes care in the world cannot prevent them. They are a condition, a result, of being diabetic. Your uncle George lived until 90 with diabetes and never had a complication in his life? He got lucky. I know people with no legs who have never taken a drink or eaten a sweet since they got the disease, and have painstakingly followed the rules. I suffer from diabetic retinopathy, heart disease, kidney disease, liver disease, neuropathy, nephropathy, arthritis, and oddly enough, depression. Still after 49 years I am holding my own. I have two legs, two eyes, and the liver and kidney problems are incipient (They may not get to be full-blown, but if I live long enough....) The other stuff is in a kind of remission, but I lose the feeling in my hands two to five times a day, the feeling in my feet is almost gone. I test my blood glucose two to five times a day, and I still get surprises in the form of unexplainable highs.

The only way to prevent all this is not to get diabetes, and if you can figure out how to do that, you can have the Nobel Prize. Before you presume to tell a diabetic that his problems could have been prevented with a little more care, ask a few diabetics what it's like to live with this godawful disease.

Ok, guys, let's don't let this get out hand here. Each person is unique which a good thing. I'll just put both of you on ignore for a while.