japanese lamps

Dan Noren

Staff member
also this week (told you it was a busy one), was the start of the japanese lamps for the living room. after making the cuts for the uprights, and horizontal spacers, and planing the various boards to thickness, the cnc machine sure came in handy for the rest of the parts. started with the bottoms, then the top rims, then the legs. next, i have to give the legs a rub on the drum sander to clean them up, clean up the rest of the parts, dye them, then assemble them, along with the cutting of the rice paper for the shades.

Attachments

• 001 parts ready for cutting.jpg
    001 parts ready for cutting.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 24
  • japanese lamp.jpg
    japanese lamp.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 009 first of leg sets started.jpg
    009 first of leg sets started.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 008 finished top rim.jpg
    008 finished top rim.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 007 inside of first top rim being cut on cnc.jpg
    007 inside of first top rim being cut on cnc.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 006 first of bottoms finish cut from cnc.jpg
    006 first of bottoms finish cut from cnc.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 005 first of bottoms on the cnc.jpg
    005 first of bottoms on the cnc.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 004 upright parts and spacers finish cut.jpg
    004 upright parts and spacers finish cut.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 003 uprights blank cut and dadoes cut.jpg
    003 uprights blank cut and dadoes cut.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 002 tops tapered and vent hole drilled.jpg
    002 tops tapered and vent hole drilled.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 21
here are the rest of the pictures. more to come as this one advances....

Attachments

• 010 first leg being cut.jpg
    010 first leg being cut.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 011 first leg finished and second started.jpg
    011 first leg finished and second started.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 012 second set of legs started.jpg
    012 second set of legs started.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 013 last of four sets of legs started.jpg
    013 last of four sets of legs started.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 014 all legs cut.jpg
    014 all legs cut.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 28
Hi Dan.

Looking at the pics of the process I can't but ask if the separation that you are leaving between the legs is a requirement of the machine or not. Can't you overlap lines so that you would speed up the process and save wood at the same time?

I have a book called "Making japanese style lamps & lanterns by Edward R. Turner. Are you taking ideas from it? Your design seems to be inspired by one of the designs that appear on it. I also plan to make one of those someday.

not sure if i remember where i got the idea toni, but i liked the idea, and set it up in sketchup. i may have come across the idea while looking up styles of japanese lamps online, and with my drafting background, was able to come up with the plans in sketchup.

the uprights and horizontal spacers are 1/4" x 1/4", the verticals are 14", and the horizontals are 4". the verticals have notches cut in them about 2" from each end, for the top rim, and the bottom to fit into. i may have to redesign the bottom, in order to extend the rice paper shade all the way to the bottom part, hiding the lamp socket. the top rim and bottom are one piece of white oak planed down to 1/4", and fitted to the uprights and legs. the legs and top are 3/4", with the top being 7.5" square, and the legs being an over all 1 1/2" wide, by 17" high. the legs were cut on the cnc, in order to have exact duplication of the size and shape of the legs, and the exact location of the notches in them. i will have to take a file to the inside corners of the notches, as they have rounded inside corners, nature of the cnc beast.

Last edited: