A titanic struggle

Roger Tulk

I now have all the parts I need to complete my canoe restoration, including thwarts, seats, some idea what I am doing, the will to do it, and now two important parts from the old canoe. I took the manufacturer's plate (about 5cm x 10cm) and the painter ring (about 5cm long) and put them in a safe place. So, this evening, under the pretext of looking for the old electric sander I want to use to sand the walls my wife repaired with plaster (circumstantial evidence suggests she applied the plaster with her thumbs,) and took the shed apart looking for them. Eventually they turned up, and when I get back early next week, I am somehow ready to go. Phew!

DSCF6795.JPG

This is not the Clark-Craft located in NY state. I have seen lots of canoes, but this is the only Clarkcraft I have seen. Then again, there used to be a few garage operations that produced canoes in the 60s and 70s, so this may have been one of them.

A little quick research shows me that there was a Clarkcraft Industries in St. Catharines at 425 Glendale Ave. in 1974. Can't tell how long it was there, but that gives me some idea of the age of this very solid canoe. Maybe I should name it "Titanic."