Go east young man - Moving?

This past Thursday Jan and I drove six hours back to Iowa to pick up the truck which was promised for 1 PM. When we arrived we found out that 90% of the work was still undone. We sat at the dealership for 4 1/2 hours only to find out that when they started the truck that head gasket was leaking coolant. Now it looks like another five or six days till it is ready. We drove the six hours home and arrived at midnight from an absolutely worthless waste of time trip.

We talked it over and we decided that we would strongly request that the dealership arrange for transportation of my truck and U-Haul trailer as well as pay for late charges on that trailer from the date the truck was promised. I do not see any reason why I should have to make another 12 hour round-trip because they could not meet a deadline. They had that truck for eight days. No reason why that work should not have been done on the promised date and time.

man Rennie I think I would have said some very bad words. Sorry for all the trouble. If the dealer doesn't come through a call to the zone reps for the truck manufacturer would be in order. My wife used to work for dealer so I ca tell you that the dealers don't like the one reps getting involved.

I think I would have requested a loaner truck and got the trailer home since you were there at least. What do they say about hind sight. ;)

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

This past Thursday Jan and I drove six hours back to Iowa to pick up the truck which was promised for 1 PM. When we arrived we found out that 90% of the work was still undone. We sat at the dealership for 4 1/2 hours only to find out that when they started the truck that head gasket was leaking coolant. Now it looks like another five or six days till it is ready. We drove the six hours home and arrived at midnight from an absolutely worthless waste of time trip.

We talked it over and we decided that we would strongly request that the dealership arrange for transportation of my truck and U-Haul trailer as well as pay for late charges on that trailer from the date the truck was promised. I do not see any reason why I should have to make another 12 hour round-trip because they could not meet a deadline. They had that truck for eight days. No reason why that work should not have been done on the promised date and time.

Social media is your friend in this endeavor.... Don't be afraid to use it.

Social media is your friend in this endeavor.... Don't be afraid to use it.

I think I did one better. It seems the state of Iowa takes auto repairs rather seriously and provides concise outlines regarding how they are to conduct business. My experience clearly qualifies as one they would not approve of. The states AG has a very comprehensive form that can be filled out on line to file a formal complaint, which I did. Waiting to see what the response will be.

Some stories have a happy ending! The complaint we filed with the AG in Iowa seems to have gotten at least a couple people at the dealership very excited. I received a call Friday that was very conciliatory and apologetic. We negotiated back to the original estimate plus they paid for half of the transporter. The check is in the mail! Not that I would spend it ahead of time anyway but that entire check goes right back to the credit card on which the charges were initially made. Jan and I are sighing in relief and thankful that this story, at least, has a somewhat happy ending.

I've been remiss in keeping up on the forum the past 6 months between work and getting the house ready for sale so I did not find out about the gathering till recently when I was attempting to 'catch up' on things. First thought was, "great! I move 1800 miles to be where all the parties happen and then they move the party!" (Tapatalk doesn't offer the option to put in a laughing guy here, but that's what I would have done. ;o)

Unfortunately I can't get to NH this time. But I'm centrally located now so next time......