Go east young man - Moving?

Arkansas is a good choice. Milder winters but still have seasons. Most of the people are nice and friendly, except for the ocasional woodworker grouch.:rolleyes:
Place near me that, I believe, is ideal. I'll send you the info.

I appreciate that Frank, and I'm sure the area is all you say it is. However, the reason we are moving is to be closer to Jan's family and central to my own. I'm afraid your neck of the woods would not meet that criteria.

Time to resurrect this thread as we have purchased a home in Michigan! We found a nice, relatively small, home on the St. Joseph River just south of Constantine. It has a large garage that I plan to add on to for a shop. This is scary, moving across country like this, but it is also exciting. I'm in the process of remodeling two bathrooms in our current home with the goal of having it on the market by May 1. The house in MI closes May 3. If all goes well we should be moving into our new digs in late June.

Glad all is going well on your moving plans. When I look east of where I am I get annoyed. I avoid Dallas like the plague. Too many yuppies and idiots there. Fort Worth is working getting that way fast. If things get much worse, I'll be working my a bit more west a few miles to get away from them. I don't mind neighbors as long as there is about a mile between us. Hope all continues well on your venture.

Rennie, you are a much braver man than I. I was born in the PNW and I will die here. I have been stalling for over 3 years to not move into town. I really think I will die if I do. My wife just does not understand. Guess who will win out!

I really wish you well on your move. I guess I would understand it more if you were moving from Michigan out west....:)

Congrats Rennie, now you won't be so faaaar away. Still its going to be tough to leave all the great work you did on your home behind. Pity it can't be teleported. Lol. But think of the positives you get a new canvas to paint again.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Allen, you, and everyone else, are always welcome to stop by, even if it just to ask for directions to Larry's!:rofl:

Seriously, this whole thing scares the heck out of me. We have purchased this home on the word of relatives and my agent. So far its going smoothly, but it is frightening to think we will already own this home when we see it for the first time.

Congratulations Rennie. You have a busy and exciting summer ahead. Lots of great FWW friends in that area. It's also, of course, right around the corner from Nova Scotia! We may drop by for coffee on our next sheep buying trip to Michigan :)

Wikipedia paints a nice image of Constantine MI. Their Main St picture must've been taken at rush hour - both cars are on the street. :)

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Allen, you, and everyone else, are always welcome to stop by, even if it just to ask for directions to Larry's!:rofl:

Seriously, this whole thing scares the heck out of me. We have purchased this home on the word of relatives and my agent. So far its going smoothly, but it is frightening to think we will already own this home when we see it for the first time.

It's always interesting when some else picks out your home... Dianne and I moved to Tucson in '94... we rented an apartment sight unseen, just from a brochure... was a nice apartment, but smaller than we anticipated...(should have known better, we moved from a 4 bedroom house to a 2 bedroom apartment... then when we moved back to Houston area, Dianne's sister found a house for us to rent... our refrigerator would not fit in the kitchen... for 6 months we lived with it in the garage... then discovered that even though we had paid deposit and rent right on time, the landlord wasn't paying his mortgage... I had cleaned the yard, cut down half a jungle that grew in the front and made the place look really nice before the bank gave us eviction notice... we found a house with a bigger kitchen....

The house we're in now, we found on the internet and had a daughter look at it for us... we did come up later and looked ourselves...

Congratulations on the move... hope it all works well for you.

This past week we listed our home, for sale by owner, in Zillow. To give you an idea how hot the market is in my price range around here, it was listed, shown four times, received four offers, and had signed contracts for an over-listing offer in 72 hours. Getting the home ready is proving to be easier than getting the shop packed up.

Yesterday I sold the dust collection system (older Oneida and lots of metal duct and blast gates) and today I'm tearing it all down and getting it ready for pick-up tomorrow. It was a small cyclone, only about 700 CFM and it would not have been sufficient for the new shop. The bad part is I may not be able to replace it with another cyclone and will likely go to plastic ducting.

Loading the furniture van with all the large tools and household item I fear will be one huge puzzle. I guess once I have the shop dismantled I can better assess the sf that will have to be dedicated to the heavy stuff.

Moving day is June 1!