great project for Veterans

Frank Fusco

Our local woodturning club has begun a really exciting project for shut-in veterans in Arkansas. This was featured in our local newspaper the other day. I'll try to get a link for the article later.
What they are doing is beginning a pen kit and helping vets learn how to complete them. The club member cut and drill the blanks, glue in the tubes and rough turn to round.
The sets are then taken to the vets who complete the turning, finish and assemble the kits.
Plus, the VA has allowed lathes and tools (usually a big NO-NO) for the vets to use. One of the club members has even designed and made lathe stands that can be used by wheelchair bound individuals. How cool is that? :thumb: The club bought and donated several mini lathes and some tools. The VA even bought another lathe.
Previously these patients did little more than sit and stare at the walls all day. (I'll avoid a rant here about the VA ignoring their needs.:mad:) Now, they have something to do and a creative outlet to boot. :highfive:
I donated about 50 stabilized redbud burl blanks and am going to stabilize a bunch more spalted Box Elder blanks for the project.
I believe this idea has the potential of going national and inspiring others. Very-very exciting, IMHO.

That is exciting Frank! Penn State Ind. has a small dedicated pen lathe that would be very handy for the wheelchair situation. Might contact them and see if they would donate one for the cause. Keep us in the loop, be interested to hear how it turns out (no pun intended).

That is great to hear. Maybe as this gets going better they could add some small table top band saws. That would give them even more enjoyment and independence being able to cut their own blanks.

Another wood working area that would be good for handicapped is the scroll saw. Most scrollers work from the sitting position.

I'm with Jonathan, please keep us in the loop on this.

That is great to hear. Maybe as this gets going better they could add some small table top band saws. That would give them even more enjoyment and independence being able to cut their own blanks.

Another wood working area that would be good for handicapped is the scroll saw. Most scrollers work from the sitting position.

I'm with Jonathan, please keep us in the loop on this.

The VA has very strict limitations on items allowed the vets. Such tools are prohibited. Arguable, but some of the vets do have mental and coordination issues. So, I guess, the rules are coming down on the side of safety. The use of turning tools was a big exception to the norm.

My club has equipped two military bases with a turning shop and is working on the third. We are at Camp Pendleton and North Island. Next is 32 St. Station. We keep them supplied with blanks and kits. We also do workshops and demos for them. Great to be helping out with them. Good job, Frank. Glad to see things are developing in your neck of the woods too.

Warms the cockles of my heart to hear news like this. Good on you Frank also for creating awareness.

I find it so funny how institutions like VA are concerned about tools injuring them. What was the gun and grenade etc or chemical exposure they suffered when they were hole. Bit late to be closing that door now when one considers what we all know woodworking brings us in joy.
Pretty sure given a chance any vet injured or not would be prepared take the chance of another injury rather than stare at wall or watch darn TV all day.
Sorry I get mad as hell with how society at large deals with this issue and it don't matter the country.
Get to me how right now our medical officer in To is considering 3 safe injection sites for drug users but vets with PTSD struggle to get someone to talk to them and believe them until they off themselves. Oh then we have a postmortem on "lessons learnt" but its only till the next one.

And many wealthy corporations are happy to wheel them out on special occasions and boast of what they do for them but in reality its for their own gain not the vets. Sorry it just gets me angry when I think of all the lost or ruined lives .

So yeah Frank so great to hear some good news.
I also thought some time ago I think it was Dave and then I know Larry both have been involved with wounded warriors and hunting. That's to me invaluable to these guys, those that are able to somehow take part in activity they once did or would have dreamed of doing. I think these things are key to integration for the vets.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Don't be too harsh on the tool issue, Rob. The vets who are living in a facility usually have mental issues. If they did not they most likely would be living on their own or with family. I believe caution is wise regarding the use of tools. This project is therapy and, hopefully, will help some to reintegrate into society. Thanks for the kudos but I had only a small part in the project.

For those who aren't aware of this, each state has a lot to do with the VA funding. That is why some states the VA is top notch, where others it is lacking some. The VA does not have the money to fund everything involved. I know a vet who moved from Texas to Colorado and wished he was back in the Texas VA system. More money, better facilities, more staff, better care. I wish it was the same all over but it is not. The VA does have to err on the side of caution. As Frank said, some of those vets are not in good shape. Some of them are not able to work with tools and machinery. Though those who can't might still like to watch others do it. So, what Frank and company is doing is a good thing as far as I am concerned. :thumb:

Thanks, Dave. It is a tough issue. Answers do not come easily. FWIW, I get VA care here in Arkansas. Have to travel amost 3 1/2 hours to get to the hospital. But the care there is tops. All the people there treat each VET like he/she is the only person in the world. We do have a local clinic for routine care.

Thanks, Dave. It is a tough issue. Answers do not come easily. FWIW, I get VA care here in Arkansas. Have to travel amost 3 1/2 hours to get to the hospital. But the care there is tops. All the people there treat each VET like he/she is the only person in the world. We do have a local clinic for routine care.

I can have the LOML drive me down to the local family owned small store with gas pumps about 2 miles & the DAV van stops on the way & picks me up to go 2 hrs. south to the Seattle VA hospital. We have a local clinic in Mt Vernon that I can drive to in around 30 minutes. Both the hospital & the clinic have treated me very well. It also helps them when we are cheerful & make sure to thank them for their help. They have always been cheerful & upbeat & try in every way to help me.

I've seen people be real nasty with the VA people who are trying to help them.I wish there was some way to help them understand it takes less effort to be nice & cheerful & it helps things go better & faster then if they continue to be nasty & spiteful & they are actually hurting themselves more than anyone else ever could .

Last edited:
You bet, Frank. I get VA care as well and have absolutely no complaints at all. Because I am both retired and disabled I had options and it was recommended to be to go VA. They have fixed everything on me that has broken. Even the two elective surgeries (carpal tunnel) they did really fast. Of course they said I waited until the nerve conductive tests were off the charts to say anything. They had me on the operating table with my detached right bicep muscle in about a week and a half. Can't complain about that at all. And as Bart said if you say thank you and smile, that helps a lot. With some of the vets they have to take care of, a smile goes a long ways. I told one anesthesia nurse I wanted to take her home with me as she was putting me out. I told her the truth. She was smart, good looking, and smart and good looking. Was she ever. I have to go into Fort Worth for the clinic there which takes me about 45-50 minutes. The hospital is on the far south end of Dallas. I hate going out there but it's actually not that bad. Some folks will complain about the care they get there but they are usually those that nothing makes them happy, so they can stay at the back of the line as far as I am concerned.