Mirror Mirror On The Wall...

Stuart Ablett

.... boy am I in the wrong business :D

One of our apartos in the building we live the tenant has just left, we employ a company to do a clean up and replace the wall paper if needed, they also just look over stuff to keep the apartments in good shape. This aparto is a single room with a room for the toilet and a room for the unit bath, compact but a decent place. With some fixes we should rent it out again fairly quickly.

I'm busy, as you know, so for most of this stuff I just leave it to the company that fixes stuff up, the one guy that works for them is amazing, he can "heal" stuff like floor scratches and other damage really well and quickly, but, this time around we really need to replace the flooring, the flooring near the veranda door is toast, too many years (14) of tenants not closing the darn sliding glass door and then leaving the house, it rains and the floor get wet, and over the 14 years with the sun also beating down on it, well the flooring is going to be replaced. I don't have time, so they will do it, I'd rather get it fixed now and earning income than wait another two month until I have the time to deal with it. They want about $800 to replace all the flooring including the price of the flooring, that is about the same as one months rent, so if they do it right away I'll be happy.

One other thing they recommended we have replaces is the mirror in the unit bath....

IMG_9660.JPG

It is badly scratched (how the heck did that happen?) and needs replacement. The company wanted $180 to do this..... Really? :eek:

My wife went online and found the replacement mirror from the unit bath maker for $80, but then when we said my company name the price went down to $60 (retail vs wholesale I guess) with shipping.

IMG_9658.JPG

IMG_9659.JPG

Boy that mirror was well packed, nice to see!

IMG_9661.JPG

First I removed the two screws holding the mirror clips at the top of the mirror, then to get the old mirror off I had to cut the foam double sided tape that was holding it in place.

IMG_9664.JPG

I used some of the packing plastic stuff from the drum sander box I recently bought, worked great!

IMG_9665.JPG

Once I scraped off the old foam double sided tape, I used the two strips of new double sided foam tape that came with the mirror.

IMG_9666.JPG

Popped the mirror into the bottom clips, lined it up, and pressed the new mirror into position, attached to two top clips and I'm done.

Took about 15 min in total, cost to me about $60, they wanted $180, so I just saved $120, but of course I'll charge the mother-in-law for the job, maybe $120 :)

Not bad, $60 for 15 min work :thumb:

Really these apartment fixer guys must make money, as most landlords have no idea what things cost and no idea how to fix anything, I'll be looking for more of this work, if I ever get a minute to spare!

Cheers!

....One other thing they recommended we have replaces is the mirror in the unit bath....

Good job, Stu. I was wondering why you didn't knock out the floor too and then I remembered my last floor job and think you made the right choice. Did you inspect the apartment before the clean up guys got there? An unscrupulous clean up guy could generate a bit of extra income with the right abrasive on a mirror. Just sayin'.:thumb:

Good job, Stu. I was wondering why you didn't knock out the floor too and then I remembered my last floor job and think you made the right choice. Did you inspect the apartment before the clean up guys got there? An unscrupulous clean up guy could generate a bit of extra income with the right abrasive on a mirror. Just sayin'.:thumb:

Thanks Ted.

Well my wife did a walk through with the real estate agent and the departing tenant, you could not tell the mirror was scratched until my wife took this special cleaner that takes the mineral build up off mirrors, and then it was obvious, so I don't think the touch up guy did that, besides, he knows I'm a carpenter and well versed in stuff, and we do have three buildings that they clean when ever a tenant leaves, so I cannot see him trying anything like that. He does not set the prices, he just does the work.

Cheers!