Carving/Jointery Mallets

Joan Keeler

Hi all :thumb: I started looking around for mallets and was overwhelmed by the different sizes and the chooses and vartiey of materials used. :huh: I thought I would come here and ask the pros. Show me what you guys use. :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

A simple hardwood mallet that I shortened the handle on and added four ounces of fishing weights to for a little more heft. I also changed the profile of the face to be a little more rounded.

Attachments

• mallet.jpg
    mallet.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 48
Hi Joan,

Aren't you planning on getting a lathe? you can make all the round ones you like and decide what seems to work best for you. I don't have any pics of mine, but they are very simple to make. Hurry up and get that lathe!

Here are a couple of the mallots I have made. when teaching, it was one of the first Lathe projects, gave the kids some skill development as well as a useful tool...

mallots2.jpg

The one on the left is Hickory head with Walnut handle, the other is from a chunk of Black cherry Firewood. I use each and often in most all my WWing.

see how the handle attaches....
Mallottop.jpg

This is a Gavel.... Not exactly a Mallot Frank.... :)

Gavel.jpg

Glenn, your design is in my next pile of Round-2-it should I ever get that far....

Last edited:
I prefer a round carving mallet like the one shown in the picture. The advantage of the round mallet is that you don't have to worry about how you pick it up - you just grab it. I made several of these until I got the weight and handle size that I liked (I gave the ones I didn't like away as gifts). You don't need a lot of weight in a mallet.

I use it for carving and for things like cutting dovetails. I have a couple of bigger, heavier mallets (like the one in my avatar) but this is the one I always reach for.

Mike

Attachments

• Mallet 003b (1450 x 540).jpg
    Mallet 003b (1450 x 540).jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I prefer a round carving mallet like the one shown in the picture. The advantage of the round mallet is that you don't have to worry about how you pick it up - you just grab it. I made several of these until I got the weight and handle size that I liked. You don't need a lot of weight in a mallet.

I use it for carving and for things like cutting dovetails. I have a couple of bigger, heavier mallets (like the one in my avatar) but this is the one I always reach for.

Mike

You are right Mike, it doesn't take a ton of effort just that little jolt. (tap, thump,) I have been thinking of a smaller round carver's mallot but I'm running short on Round-2-its ... Really there isn't a specific design (as you said) make it feel comfortable... I saw one where a fellow cut a chunk of wood to fit in the palm of his hand, no handle just a chunk of wood to provide that tap on the end of a sharp chisel/gouge...

Thanks everyone for your input. :thumb: You are absolutely right about me being able to make my own, as a turner (soon to be,hopefully). I was actually inquiring for a friend who is going to use the mallet for making dovetails by hand. He wanted me to make one for him but I'm getting discouraged about when I'll be able to start turning so I thought in the mean time I might buy him one for his birthday....shhhhhhhhhhh... don't tell him :rofl: It's good to know that the shape and size and weight is really an individual thing and not something that has to be one way or another. Those pics of the ones you guys made are very nice. Thanks for the tips. :)

hi joan

hehheeeee the cats outa the bag now :D :rofl:

but i do appreciate the help from everyone :wave: everytime i do a search or see another site the choices are just amazing :dunno: i think i might just go out back and pick up a rock and use that :eek:

.................i think i might just go out back and pick up a rock and use that :eek:

Now not just any rock, has to be the right size and shape, and it really depends on what kind of work you are doing, do you use granite, quartzite, or Basalt, or the volcanic rocks Dolerite and or Diorite....:dunno:

Then you got to worry about how you are going to hold it......

stone_hammer5.jpg
Your basic round stone.........

stone_hammer6.jpg
Hand held.

stone_hammer3.jpg
hand held but not ball like?

stone_hammer2.jpg
or you could attach a handle to that oval shaped stone...?

stone_hammer4.jpg
Or, you could cut a hole in that stone to put a proper handle in it.....

stone_hammer1.png
Or, the just shape the stone into a handle..............

So many choices..... ;) :D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don't know about the whole "pro" thing, but here is the mallet I made when I realized I needed one. This was based on a plan someone posted over at Sawmill Creek a couple of years ago. a few of us made variations on the same basic theme.
P1010022.jpg

Dan

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: O.K. Stu. You are a fountain of information or maybe just a tad too much caffeine. :rofl: :rofl: It just goes to show that there are all kinds of ways to get a job done.

Dan, that is a really nice looking mallet. What type of wood did you use? When I make mine, it will have to be rounded (since I'm one of those spinney makers) :D