Last Flight

Paul Douglass

Tomorrow my son takes his last flight in the F-18 Superhornet. So ends a 23 year career as a Jet Jockey in the Navy. What a great career he had.

Friday he heads to Tennessee to start his new career flying for FedEx. He will be flying the MD-11. He had interview, and tests with the three major ones, Delta, United and FedEx. All three offered him a job. He choose to fly for FedEx. They wanted him to start as soon as possible so he is getting out of the Navy three months earlier than he planned. He went to FedEx because he can make more money with them, have a good retirement plan and not have to put up with passengers.

Still flying and doesn't even miss a step. What's not to like. Congratulations to your son on a great military career! No more carrier landings!!:thumb::thumb:

Still flying and doesn't even miss a step. What's not to like. Congratulations to your son on a great military career! No more carrier landings!!:thumb::thumb:

Ha! The reason FedEx wants him badly is because the MD-11 is know for being somewhat more difficult to land than other big jets. They like to hire x-Navy pilots because they have more experience making the difficult landings.

Paul, please convey my thanks to your son for his service to our country. Also, congratulations are in order to him for being the type everyone wants and to you and his mom for raising him right.

Congratulations and thanks to your son..... your pride is justified.

Back when I worked for TWA -- about 40 years ago... most passenger airlines were all that interested in fighter jockeys... they preferred the bigger bomber pilots... something about mind set on having other people in the plane with them... don't know if that's actually true, just a rumor I heard from a friend who was trying to get hired as a pilot. Also back then FEDEX mostly flew the Lears because they were only handling document/courier type shipments... after they bought out Flying Tigers, they started handling heavier cargo.

Congrats to your son. 22 years ago next month, I took my last flight in the F-16. I was lucky enough to get in on the beginning of the little jet. I still miss it. Never had an interest in airline/cargo flying, but good luck to him.

Congrats to your son. 22 years ago next month, I took my last flight in the F-16. I was lucky enough to get in on the beginning of the little jet. I still miss it. Never had an interest in airline/cargo flying, but good luck to him.

Ya, seems to me it would be like driving a hot sports car for years and than getting a bus to drive.