Cheese tray for my wonderful daughter.

Roger Tulk

Mde this in the last few days. Pretty straightforward, curly maple and purpleheart. She wanted purpleheart, as she loves all things purple. Havent put a finish on, but I'm thinking of just doing a mineral oil finish. I used lacquer on purpleheart once, and it turned brown.

Cheesetrayfww.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys! Now could someone change the title of this thread from "Dheese tray..." to "Cheese tray...?" I wouldn't want you thinking this was for some weird Scottish dish named dheese.
Done.
All that you have to do is edit your post, and click the 'Go Advanced' button. In that screen you can change the title. It's handy for some long ongoing projects where you might want to change the title from time to time.

Roger, over time that purple heart will turn brown. If she leaves it in a window with direct sunlight, it will happen faster. Since it is a cheese board, once it darkens, sand to clean colors and go at it again. It is the nature of the wood.

Great-looking board, Roger. :thumb: As the other guys said, there's not much you can do to prevent the purpleheart from turning brown, but reducing the exposure to UV rays will slow the process down. And I'll second Jon's suggestion to simply sand it down to get the purple color back. I'd just use mineral oil for the finish. (Lacquer doesn't hold up well on a cutting board, and can eventually flake off...not a good thing for a food prep surface.)

Great looking Dheese board (okay I thought that might be a Canadian spelling). I have a tongue drum I did the top with purple heart maybe 10 years ago. The purple heart came out a beautiful cranberry red, which was good, I am not really a purple fan. It is till that beautiful color. I finished it with tongue oil. It never sits in the sun.