one of the signs for my brother's new garage

Dan Noren

Staff member
a few weeks back, he was telling us about the new house that they bought, and of the much larger garage he is planning on building. one thing that he said about it inspired this sign.

Attachments

• garage mahal sign.jpg
    garage mahal sign.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 56
I saw some designs recently.

The surface of the material was all black.

The engravings exposed the light color under the black.

It looked awesome.

I bet your design would look equally awesome. You could create that image and color in Vectric.

The fuse has a plastic cover over it making it look like a capacitor. It's pretty much in the middle of the board. Pull off the cover and there's a fuse in a clip. I don't recall the value without going to my shop to check. My speed controller suddenly stopped a couple of months ago for no apparent reason and it turned out to be the fuse.

yup, gave them a call, talked with sam. she said it was a 5 amp 250 volt fuse. picked up 2 packages at home depot. now i have the replacement and 3 spares. now i have to add some more wire to the others, so that i have a little bit of slack when i hook it back up again.

fuse replaced, wiring extended, we'ems back in biddness! started the second sign for my brother's garage. need to work on more details on it before going further with it. garage mahal mk2 is painted and waiting for tomorrow to cut.

ok, back in business again! it was off to the races today, lots of stuff to get done. the first coat of paint on the garage mahal mk2 blank kept leaving fingerprints, and there was one run that didn't quite go away, even after sanding. so i used a flat black paint that i had on hand, and repainted. here are pics of the cutting, and with the top coat of sanding sealer. also included, is a pic of the new house of pain sign. sorry, but most of the detail work got washed out in the pic. it is basically a pair of circles, on an ace of spades, with the text, house at the top, and of pain at the bottom (every garage my brother uses is called the house of pain). there is also a young lady in a swimsuit, based on a pinup of the 1940's-50's. very tame by today's standards. the finish on the mdf is several coats of sprayed shellac.

Attachments

• 001 painted blank.jpg
    001 painted blank.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 002 garage mahal sign being cut.jpg
    002 garage mahal sign being cut.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 16
  • 003 finished cutting.jpg
    003 finished cutting.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 004 ends cut ready for top coat.jpg
    004 ends cut ready for top coat.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 005 with top coat.jpg
    005 with top coat.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 17
  • house of pain sign.jpg
    house of pain sign.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 18
One thing to consider on the House of Pain sign is to get it sealed really well with shellac, then wipe some gel stain over it to highlight the carving. The sealer will keep the stain from seeping into the MDF.

with the gel stain applied, and wiped off, and a quick coat of spray shellac, here are the end results of the house of pain sign....:eek:

Attachments

• house of pain after gel stain.jpg
    house of pain after gel stain.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 18