Router Bit Organizer

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I've been meaning to get my router bits organized for a while. I've even designated a drawer for them, but seems like they are all over my shop in different storage containers and drawers. I've also started buying several more to use on my cnc, so it was time to get started on this project.

2015-09-27 19.39.59.jpg

I measured up a board to fit my drawer, which turned out to be 12" x 10". I create a different size hole for each size of bit, then copied those using the "Create linear array of copies" option. It has the option to specify the number of rows and columns of the copied object. (I'll do a tutorial on this later for the vectric users).
Router Bit Organizer.jpg

Next I did pocket operations all the holes and sent it to the cnc, which worked like a charm...
2015-09-27 19.38.39.jpg 2015-09-27 19.46.57.jpg

You And Jason. Did you see the way he made a grid board using littel brass pegs to organise his chisels and files?

That router bit board looks awesome as well.

If Only I had the ability to do this type of stuff.:crossed:

Hey I am with Brent this CNC stuff is way to cool to be doing without. Nice fix for storage of the bits Darren. I have the draws all cut for my router table but this is the part that has been holding me back. Drilling all those holes aint fun. :( when done by hand one at a time dp or no dp still have to get them in the right place. Being better organized is huge asset so its on my to do list too.

Hey I am with Brent this CNC stuff is way to cool to be doing without. Nice fix for storage of the bits Darren. I have the draws all cut for my router table but this is the part that has been holding me back. Drilling all those holes aint fun. :( when done by hand one at a time dp or no dp still have to get them in the right place. Being better organized is huge asset so its on my to do list too.

Think about doing it with slots too so you could put in some slats to make compartments.

I just kept the drawer bottoms flat, and used these bit holders. Makes it easy to arrange/rearrange if needed.

You And Jason. Did you see the way he made a grid board using littel brass pegs to organise his chisels and files?

That router bit board looks awesome as well.

If Only I had the ability to do this type of stuff.:crossed:

LOL - if only, right ... *hmm*

Yeah - I just did two sets of boards - one with 1328 holes and one with 2160 holes ... little dinky .135" holes -- sure glad I didn't have to lay those out and do all of 'em on the drill press! :p

... Next I did pocket operations all the holes and sent it to the cnc, which worked like a charm...

Show off!!! Seriously, that looks great, Darren!

About 12 years ago, I did something similar the old fashioned way: on my drill press! Different widths of inserts and hole sizes. Works pretty good.

RtrBiitStorage.jpg

Nowadays, methinks I'd do it a bit different!

I build the NYW Delux Router Table a bunch of years ago. It has all the holes to hold the bits. I have not yet run out of room. All I can say is - I don't store the CNC bits in there.

For the CNC - I have a plastic drawer cabinet. The drawers are labeled with the bit in the drawer. I've been working that way for far more than a decade - not likely to change.

I build the NYW Delux Router Table a bunch of years ago. It has all the holes to hold the bits. I have not yet run out of room. All I can say is - I don't store the CNC bits in there.

For the CNC - I have a plastic drawer cabinet. The drawers are labeled with the bit in the drawer. I've been working that way for far more than a decade - not likely to change.
Yeah I plan to do a small hanging cabinet for the cnc bits since it's across the shop from here. This drawer is for my router table.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Your tutorial looks good, Darren!

To clarify my earlier posting of router bits: those are at my router table, although a few of the bits could be used on the CNC. My main CNC bit storage is shown below. It's mounted on the wall above my CNC.

CNC_Bld_zParts.jpg

And a thought for you non-cnc guys. Draw your grid in SketchUp, print out, spray adhesive to the board and drill away. Ain't as cool but will move the project along, Rob.

That came out great, Darren. :thumb:

And a thought for you non-cnc guys. Draw your grid in SketchUp, print out, spray adhesive to the board and drill away. Ain't as cool but will move the project along, Rob.

And to add to that, although the 0.000001" accuracy is very cool, it's not a strict requirement for a router bit storage insert or tray. Using Carol's template suggestion, I'd bet I could drill 100 holes on a drill press faster than a hobbyist CNC system could cut them. They might not be exactly perfectly aligned, but in the end they'd still hold 100 drill bits. ;)

"Darn i was so close to having a reason to buy a cnc."

Wanting to is reason enough, Rob. Remembering you telling me that not so long ago. :thumb::rofl::D