Rasps

Rob Keeble

I have a question for any of you that have purchased a good quality set of hand stitched rasps.

How have you found them to be in regards durability when used obviously strictly on wood? I just made a post on metal files for sharpening hand saws and this point has got me wondering how the hand stitched rasps are working out.

I would like to add a couple to my carving kit but been nervous to pull the trigger without any prior experience or witness from anyone i trust.

If you have any what do you use them for and what size and make do you have?

While back i was trying to organize a group deal on some french make but that fell by the way.

Now i want to attend to this at same time as i do files.

Decent tools make a huge difference i have been finding and working in the shop with the right tool makes all the difference too.

I have 3 Auriou rasps. I'm not sure I've had mine long enough to answer the durability question; my oldest is maybe 3 years old. But it gets used on pretty much on any curves I cut for final shaping before I sand them smooth. I have the 9"/10 grain cabinet rasp, the 6"/15 grain modeler's rasp, and a 6"/13 grain rat tail. I'm not a big hand tool user, but they do work out well for the things I do. Based on the recommendation from someone here (I think) I also bought a Shinto saw rasp, it gets used on things like Bondo, and manmade wood(plywood, etc.). The Auriou have a breathtaking price, but they seemed to be a little cheaper from Lie Neilson when I bought mine.

I only have one Grobet rasp - i want more like it. I have only had it about 6 years but I see no signs of it losing it's ability to rasp away wood anytime soon.

Not sure on long term durability. I can say the couple of premium rasps I do have cut a lot faster and cleaner than the older (and to be honest junky) ones I was using. I'm also still a big fan of the iwasaki files but they aren't quite in the same class either (for the price they're excellent to fill in for some sizes though). I have one Aurio and one Gramercy (TFWW) and would buy either again given the choice (its hard to compare directly because they're different shapes and grain, I think the Aurio is a bit "smoother" cut but am mostly hand waving).

Oh and this little jobby: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H1VZ5G such a handy little fellow!

I only have one premium rasp, an Auriou cabinetmaker's rasp 200x23x4.5-G11 purchased about seven years ago for $94.99. It is the standout of my fleet of mostly big box and Harbor Freight files and rasps. If it ever gets dull I'll buy another.

Let me ask you guys a question: I read when I bought my first one that a key to it having a long, productive life was correct usage. Whatever it was I was reading went on to say that meant using the rasp to cut on a forward stroke, then lifting it off the workpiece, pull it back and repeat the cut. This is as opposed to the way a lot of folks use a metal file, which is to just go back and forth without ever lifting it off the workpiece. Do you do that, and think it matters one way or the other? (BTW, that is how I've been using my rasps.)

Whatever it was I was reading went on to say that meant using the rasp to cut on a forward stroke, then lifting it off the workpiece, pull it back and repeat the cut. This is as opposed to the way a lot of folks use a metal file, which is to just go back and forth without ever lifting it off the workpiece. Do you do that, and think it matters one way or the other? (BTW, that is how I've been using my rasps.)

I do, but its mostly habit from file work. Wood can be moderately abrasive so I'm sure there is some impact, how much and whether it would actually be noticeable at the amount I use these things is pretty debatable. I'd argue its still worth doing if only to keep the habit fresh where it does matter and practically I find that it also makes me think about the cut a bit more which often yields better results.

all of my rasps are hand me downs from my dad and they are quit old id say some at least 50 years old and although i am not able to do the woodworking I used to do I still use them on occasion and they are still holding up fine. I was taught to lift after stroking each time so I do that out of habit. On a side not in place of rasps I also use a micro plane a lot also. I started using one after I took a course from Sam Maloof and he used one for shaping parts on his chairs and said he really liked them.

Let me ask you guys a question: I read when I bought my first one that a key to it having a long, productive life was correct usage. Whatever it was I was reading went on to say that meant using the rasp to cut on a forward stroke, then lifting it off the workpiece, pull it back and repeat the cut. This is as opposed to the way a lot of folks use a metal file, which is to just go back and forth without ever lifting it off the workpiece. Do you do that, and think it matters one way or the other? (BTW, that is how I've been using my rasps.)

Absolutely - its also how you should be using files, too - never pull them back on the work, that just blunts the file prematurely.

Thanks guys for all the input and feedback. I too was taught press down on push stroke and pick up for return. Pretty much ingrained in me through a cane at school. :)

For us i guess Lee Valley is our best option but they not available at store so i will wait for free shipping before i get a couple of woodworking rasps.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I have ONE Nicholson hand cut rasp - absolutely love it. I have been told that it is no longer available, that they are now machine cut and no where near as good as they used to be.

I protect it in a plastic sleeve and carefully placed in my good tools tool box.

I have about 5 Auriou rasps (cabinets, flat, and rat tail) and am interested in getting some more plus some rifflers, but probably will get them from Liogier. Nothing wrong with the Auriou's, they work great.

I have a few rasp and rifflers, and I use them quite a lot, none of them is hand made and they all work well, as per durability, some of them are 50 years old as they belonged to my dad, as provided that you use them only on wood ( not plaster, not corian etc.) they can last a lifetime. One thing that many people forget is that there are different rasp grits. Some articles do abogue for the so called randomness of the teeth on hand made rasps and its effect on the wood, IMHO that randomness is not that random and its benefits are more selling strategy than anything else but of course I may be wrong.

The main problem with rasps and files as with all tools is that it all depends mainly on the steel they are made of, and that is something difficult to asses having to rely on the explanations of the seller or maker.