Highly Adjustable File & Chisel Storage

Jason Beam

At long last, a solution to a shop problem I've had for almost a decade. My chisel and file collection has grown but my storage solution for them has been nonexistent. It's time to fix that! We start out by figuring out just what arrangement will work and what I need to build for that. Then I get down to business and start cutting some parts.

You need wall storage for the good chisels, maybe two sets. My Hirsch and Bergs go in the wall chest and the others in a drawer.

Next up, I start building the sliding tray for my files. This goes together reasonably well. While the glue's drying, I decide to start on the indexing plate for all the chisels. This required 1328 .135" diameter holes offset just about .015" so I could have infinitely adjustable storage as my collection changes. But the universe had some other ideas ... first problem with the CNC!

Why do you think the Z would be losing steps like that?

I found out the next day ... bearing went. It was just a shielded bearing and all the load of the Z carriage rests on it axially. A bit of a design flaw ... but then again, i've gotten 3+ years of service out of it, so it ain't that expendable. But on the next build, I'll be using a thrust bearing there instead.

The next morning, I started by trying to turn the screw by hand - it felt a little stiffer than the other two (much longer, much heavier) axes did. So I took the stepper off and gave it a little more of a spin. Still felt pretty choppy. Then I took just enough apart to free the screw assembly so i could spin it without weight on it - this was when I knew it was that bearing -- felt like gravel in there.

Got to where I could remove the screw and pulled it out of the machine. Got the bearing pressed off and it was definitely hosed. I said some choice words :p

While i get over troubles with the CNC, I pull the tray out of the clamps and get it fitted into the drawer. Work out a nice stop system for it as well. Then I tackle the CNC and get things back in working order. Back to cutting a bazillion holes. Also some brass is cut and we finish it up by loading the drawer with all my chisels and files! Thanks for watching!

Boy, if ever comes the time when it is possible to do a copy paste of one brain to another, you re on my list of donors!

Oh man - my wife would tell you to be careful what you wish for, there! :p

It came out really good, i think. It works perfectly the way I envisioned and i should have an infinite number of size options as my chisel collection changes. Goals met!

This is a pretty amazing build I think! To incorporate the pegboard in order to get everything fitted in there without moving around is actually pretty genius! What I’m doing is really just chucking everything in the drawer without thinking too much about how they're all being stored but I know I really should care more about caring for all the tools if I want them to last longer! Haha!

Clever idea. Its the first flexible storage system i have ever seen. You seem to have tackled the reality that our storage method needs to be able to adapt to changes in the tool collection.

Only thing i would prefer is open storage. Personally i am preferring visual open storage of anything. But thats in contradiction with finite shop space.

Well done Jason, you sure got tons of patience.