Intersect with model help

Keith Krueger

Dave: I have been trying some of your posts on sketchup and have some questions about how the intersect works with groups/components?

In the mitre cut demo if the part being cut at 45 was not a group or component then I got the intersect to work and could delete the necessary details to show mitered cut.

If the part was already a group or component then nothing seemd to happen. How does intersect work on groups or components.

For example the raised panel door demo you used intersect with model to create the cope cuts and size the rails and these parts were components. When I tried this nothing seems to happen.

Keith, the easiest way is to draw the cutting plane while editing the group or component. That way it will be part of the group or component.

You can also edit one group, select all of its geometry and run Intersect with model. If you are trying to intersect, for example, door frame components with miters, there is no intersecting edge between coplanar surfaces. You'll have to complete the miter by hand.

I'll see if I can't do something more complete on this in a little while. I'll make a video demo tonight or tomorrow night at home. The machine at work doesn't handle that sort of stuff well.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave that explained it and I was able to make it work. I know if I would have worked it out myself I would have made it much harder.