Project ideas

Didn't know where to put this so if it's in the wrong place my apologies :)

The background info. I started teaching a new class for my school this year. It's a STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) class. As with most schools funds are tight. I've already filled out four grants trying to get things for my classes. The kids have been pumped so far and I'm having more fun teaching than I've had in years.

Inventables is running a contest where they are giving away a CNC to one school in every state. The contest consists of three rounds. I made it through the first round. The second round I have to come up with a project. "Use Easel, our free 3D carving software (www.easel.com) to draft at least 1 example project". Here's where I'm stumped. I've got a grand total of 0 amount of time on a CNC. Any ideas of a basic, beginner type project?

Thanks so much!

I'm thinking the layered sign would be a killer project? A little more complicated than a regular sign, but that might make it a winner.

Maybe a simple sign engraved halfway into plexi where you have an led light strip on the bottom?

Easel is NOT 3D software, so keep that in mind. At its best, it's a clunky substitute for real design and CAM software. There's plenty of discussion about that on the Inventables forum. That being said, one can produce some nice results with Easel. Follow the rules, do what you can and hope for the best.

Really like the idea of making gears for a mousetrap powered car, You'll need to post some pictures of that if it comes to fruition!

Easel is NOT 3D software, so keep that in mind. At its best, it's a clunky substitute for real design and CAM software. There's plenty of discussion about that on the Inventables forum. That being said, one can produce some nice results with Easel. Follow the rules, do what you can and hope for the best.

Kind of got that idea after messing with it for a couple of days Bill.

John,

For STEP - it should be challenging and involve what STEM.

I did not really get the sense that you were actually using CNC to do the project, but that you - might be?

Sooo - I am an engineer. Maybe it's a disease - but I do think that way.

Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics

I am thinking Kinematics. That takes is all in. I am thinking of Kinematic movements - Geneva Mechanism, Oval Gears - slides.

Each single component is easy to make. Wooden Gears - Matias has an awesome gear generation program for $26. It will generate the DXF and you could trace it and cut it on a scroll saw if needed. OR DXF to CNC g-code and cut it on CNC.

You could use the 2D drafting of a free Draftsight and output DXF to a CAM program for anything you can draw in 2D.

Also look at the post of "challanging project" - go to that website and look at the creations he offers - it can give you some ideas.

Make a hand crank, to turn some gears, to work a mechanism to convert rotary motion to reciprocating motion and make a hack saw to cut some aluminum. You will need to incorporate a mechanical advantage into.