What's Yahoo up to?

Frank Fusco

This morning, I had an e-mail from Yahoo. The subject line said something about changing my password. Smelling a spam/scam, I deleted without opening. Later, when I went to check my Yahoo account and groups, I could not log in. Going back to read the e-mail, it seems to be genuine from Yahoo and said THEY were changing my password and would notify me later. I'm real uncomfortable with someone else telling me what my ( supposedly secret) password will be. I really need to access my account as I use their Briefcase feature and store my writing there (as back-up, loss would be an inconvenience not a disaster) and have groups I visit. :type: So far, this a.m., no success logging on. :(

That's the pits. Yahoo is not the easiest to deal with. I had a simular situation a year or so ago and never did get it sorted out. I finally just set up a new account which will not work for you it appears. Good Luck! Allen

Frank, a couple of years ago a friend had a similar occurrence - he got the e-mail from Yahoo about changing his password because they had detected a hacker trying to get into the account. Apparently someone had tried multiple times to get into his mail account without success, so they made a quick change to his password and let him know the new one so he could reset.

Could this be what has happened to you?

Nancy

Interesting...

I have never had a problem with Yahoo myself. For the past 4 years I have had my email account with them, and for 3 years I have had my website hosted on their servers without a lick of problems. In fact I have tried to change my website a few times and found out it was a lot better right where it was.

I finally waded through their new password set-up procedure and it is working OK now. What they want is users to have longer and more complex passwords for security. I can't fault that and changed mine. But, it made me realize how dependant we have become on some of these internet services. I would be lost without some of the Yahoo services, Google search, Google earth, Google translator, and many others. Might have to go back to wearing buckskins, living in a canvas shelter and cooking over an open fire. :rolleyes:

That is good news Frank. I was wondering how you came out on that deal.

It is amazing how some of us have become so dependent on the internet. After Hurricane Charlie we were out of our house for quite a while and it was so great to get to a library in another town and use their computers just to see what was going on and pick up my messages.