Large & Rustic Pecan Bowl

Dave Hoskins

This was a challenge. Not the size or weight, but trying to keep it looking like it was hand carved. Not sure just how well I succeeded in that, but I tried. After I had it roughed out, it weighed in at about 19 pounds. It lost 5 pounds in the kiln. The cracks on the inside were filled with epoxy mixed with some dark colored sand. Seems to have worked well as using the sand was an experiment and I have a bunch of it for the garden. On the outside where it was turned I used the epoxy/sand filling. The cracks on the natural edge of the lip I left alone except just dropping some superglue in them for reinforcement. I did the same on the bottom area. I sanded it and then sealed it with walnut oil. The finish is brushed on shellac. The outside diameter is 19", the inside diameter is about 14 1/2" with the height at 6" and depth at 4 1/2". Hope you like it.

Nice job, Dave. Looks like it'd fit right in as a fruit bowl in a mountain cabin. :thumb:

Or if not fruit, about 263,428 M&Ms. :D

Well Dave, you certainly don't play in the middle of the pack. Always interesting to see what you'll come out with next.

I would have to imaging the sand was problematic to sand back? I'd have been half tempted to just leave the cracks and soak some shellac down in there; would ruin if for the candy people but still ought to work for fruit, nuts, etc..

If folks complain about anything with it, it certainly looks sturdy enough to clonk them alongside the head with. Although that will make a real mess of the M&M's.

Thanks, Ryan! Actually, the sand mixed with the epoxy was no real problem with the final sanding. A couple of spots were a bit argumentative with the usual 2 or3" disks, so I used the soft base of my Festool Rotex with some 180 grit and that did the trick. I wanted to fill the inside cracks as much as possible in case somebody wanted to use it as a bread dough bowl or the like. Lot easier to clean that way. I would not want to be clunked on the head with this bowl! That would hurt big time. Never waste your M&M's!

I like it a lot Dave! :thumb: As you might know, I like thicker bowls and a big one like this it great! You mentioned rustic....Frank F. once called some of my thicker bowls "rustic handsome"...I think this one fits that description too. :)

I wanted to fill the inside cracks as much as possible in case somebody wanted to use it as a bread dough bowl or the like. Lot easier to clean that way.

Fair enough, it will certainly work a lot better as a bread bowl with the fillings.

I would not want to be clunked on the head with this bowl! That would hurt big time. Never waste your M&M's!
:D

Thanks, everybody! Dan, it's funny. I live on 35 acres and there is not a single pecan tree on it anywhere. All oaks, elm, and mountain cedar with some cottonwood mixed in. I have to go wherever to find pecan trees that are dying. But, I know where there are some pretty big pecan trees (4-5' diameter) that give off a mess of pecans. I have to watch myself with them things. I'll get to eating on them and won't stop. AWK! But we should never belittle M&M's. Now that I know this bowl worked, there should be some variations on it coming in time. Some turners in Worksop, England I know like it as well.