New Backyard Shop

PA220108.jpgPA220110.jpgPA220113.jpgPA220114.jpgPA220116.jpgPA220118.jpg

Construction is zooming along. Today the crew – there are four of them – got the vapor barrier installed, the floor joists set, and the floor panels set. The floor is 1.25 inch OSB, and with the joists at 16 inch centers, the floor is going to support the equipment and benches just fine. Tomorrow they plan on starting the framing on the walls, and the trusses will be delivered next week. At this point, the building should be weather tight in about two – three weeks. Yea!:clap::clap::clap:

The shop is starting to look like something! :)The outside walls are up, framed and sheathed. Today the contractor is moving dirt around, filling the low areas around the base of the structure, and building the ramp that will be going up to the garage door. The trusses will be here on Wednesday, and they should be up and tied down by the weekend. I’m waiting for the utility’s to come mark the lines and cables that are in the ground, and then I’ll start digging the power trench. Hope to get that done by next Monday.

In the photos you can see the framing for the doors, windows, and interior walls. I can’t start on the dust collection piping yet, as he trap door into the crawlspace hasn’t been cut yet. The 9 x 9 garage door should be installed in about two weeks, and doors and windows are on order!:clap::clap:

Ted, one thing we don’t have any problem with is termites around here. Just too dry!

Bart, I’ll be putting batt insulation under the floor, but not the stem wall below that. The Styrofoam should do a good job, along with the dirt up against the stem wall. That is the way my house is built, and it never gets very cold down there, even with the fresh air vents.

PA250119.jpgPA250121.jpgPA250123.jpgPA250125.jpg

It appears to be two weeks from lines on the ground to a structure almost weathered in. WOW!

I also recommend the 6 inch dust collector pipes. I had a huge improvement when I went from 4 inches to 6 inches with my 2 hp collector. I now have a 5 hp cyclone, and probably should upgrade again.

Thanks for the kind words, guys! :wave:

I spent all weekend (about 17 hours) digging most of the trench for the electrical line. Got about 160 feet dug, with about 40-50 feet to go. The ground here is very hard, with tough clay about 12 inches down. The top layer is hard packed dirt (the contractor had used a huge, 12 ton roller – compactor on it when he built our house) so my little Kubota BX-25 backhoe had a tough time. Photos to follow. By the time I quit last night, it was too dark to take photos. I’ll have to dig around several water lines by hand, and finish up the section going up to the house, plus the contractor asked that I wait to do the section across the driveway due to concrete being delivered on Tuesday. I’m glad he told me! Hate for the truck to fall into the trench, even if it’s only 12 inches wide! :eek:

I got home tonight before it got dark, so here are the latest photos. They got the porch roof started, and got the driveway pad poured. And a few shots of the trench, which I’ll be able to finish next week. I’ve got a Boy Scout Troop meeting tonight, a big Kiwanis service project next, and then a memorial service this weekend. Boy, I’m glad I’m not counting on me to finish the shop, it would never get done!

PB030133.jpgPB030134.jpgPB030135.jpgPB030136.jpgPB030137.jpg

The productivity in the building game in North America is just amazing to me. Given i grew up in a country where every wall was one brick on top of the other and took an age to build then needed plaster of some sort to finish.

Nice size shop and exciting to see a new shop.

Greetings!:wave:

It’s been a while since I’ve added anything to this report, but things are moving along nonetheless. The roof is on, the soffit is installed around the building, they have the vapor barrier up, and today the windows and doors were put in.:thumb: The siding also arrived, but it’s the wrong color, so that will wait. The garage door should be done soon, and the electricians will start with the rough-in soon.

The weather here turned cold and snowy earlier in the week, so we have a lot of sticky mud to contend with. I also need to pump out several hundred gallons of rain water from the utility ditch, so the electrical can get laid in there.:bang::bang:

PB150138.jpgPB150140.jpgPB150141.jpgPB150142.jpgPB150143.jpgPB180145.jpgPB180146.jpgPB180147.jpg

Well, it’s been about 3 weeks, and I’ve dealt with rain, cold, shipping delays, Pneumonia, food poisoning, dark, and work, but not necessarily in that order! In spite of all of this, things are moving along on the shop! :eek:

This week, we finally got the inspection on the utility trench, so that is now filled in and packed down, thanks to my contractor and his skid steer! He spent a whopping 1.5 hours doing a job that would have taken me and my little tractor a day to do! Thanks, Rich!:thumb:

PC130163.jpgPC130159.jpgPC130164.jpgPC130161.jpgPC130166.jpgPC130162.jpg

We finally got the proper color siding in, and that job should be finished by the time I get home today. It matches the house exactly, and looks really sharp!:score:

The electrical rough-in was inspected, and except for a couple of minor changes the inspector wanted, that is done.:beer:

I ordered the dry wall today (60 sheets) and Lowe's should get that to me by the weekend. So I hope to start hanging the rock on the ceiling on Sunday, and when I get that done, I’ll blow in enough cellulose to rate it at R50.:highfive:
And the garage door installer is supposed to install the door on Monday. I might move some tools in by Christmas!:santa:

Last edited: