New Backyard Shop

"I’ll blow in enough cellulose to rate it at R50."

Wouldn't touch it was an insulator for a while with my cousins company we used to vacuum it out & after few years it isn't fire retardent any more. We were able to light it off with just a match.

I have knowen insulation contractors that would only install it with a written release holding them not responsible iif a fire should occur .0

Wow, I'm not sure how I missed this thread. :doh: Your contractor has done a great job of racing the cold weather. (I realize he didn't manage to escape all of it, but still, he's made great progress.) Thanks for sharing the build with us, and let me offer a Howdy from a fellow New Mexican! :wave:

Quick update:

We got the final inspection on the framing, so except for the garage door, the main structure is finished. Oh, the garage door. The installer finely showed up on Tuesday, and discovered that they had delivered a nine foot door for an eight foot opening. He tried to talk me into using the 9 foot, but I said no, I didn’t pay for a patched-up job, so order the correct part!

The electrical inspector came by and let us know that the code was going to be changing, and he strongly suggested that the electrician replace a number of the circuit breakers with GFCI devices. The electrical supply was short a few of these, so I’m waiting for those to come in, and the electrical will be done.

As you can see from the earlier photos, the siding came out looking great, and I did get some sheet rock hung on the ceiling so the garage door installer had that to work on.

I have my “Big Buddy” heater in the shop, and it brings the temp up to a comfortable level, even without a garage door or insulation.

A few minor glitches, bur the end is in sight!

....Wow, I'm not sure how I missed this thread. Your contractor has done a great job of racing the cold weather. (I realize he didn't manage to escape all of it, but still, he's made great progress.) Thanks for sharing the build with us, and let me offer a Howdy from a fellow New Mexican! ....

Thanks, Vaughn! I am very happy with the work these guys have done. Well worth the money.:thumb:

And Howdy back! I've been up in the Farmington area for the past 6 years, but spent most of my life in the Albuquereuqe area. Take care, and best wishes!:wave:

Last edited:
Wow, I just opened this thread and read it through... nice shop. It's a far cry from my 12x24 little tin shed that has no insulation, no water, and no bathroom/toilet... but like yours, it's only about 90 feet from the shop to the house. I liked the suggestion that you so a layout of tool placements before you put in plugs... kinda wish I had done that... I put in plugs around the four walls of my shop, 4' above the floor and on every other stud.. made them 4' apart (I'm on 24" centers)... wound up with 3 of the plugs behind wood storage... oh well, extension cords work. I didn't enclose the ceiling... use that area for long lumber storage. Anything I can put overhead is hanging above my head. I used peg board for the walls, so I can hang hooks and tools all around the shop... built in work benches at waist level so I don't have to bend or stoop any... someday I may be able to actually work at one of the benches/shelves... without having to move all the stuff off them.

You do have a pretty shop.

Thanks, Chuck!

The shop is nice looking on the outside (be better when I get the porch done) but what I'm really looking forward to is getting sheet rock in so I can start moving in! My son will be visiting us over Christmas, so I'm hoping I can horn-swaggle him into helping :D (Hi Tommy!)

Take care, and Merry Christmas! :santa: