brass mallet

A friend that's a machinist gave me a piece of 2" brass round. I figured I'd try and make me a mallet. I've got it started. I did some work on my wood lathe, drilling a hole for a tenon, rounding the edges, putting a slight chamfer on the bottom, and the handle epoxied in. It's not perfect, but for free she'll pass!:D

20151016_085537.jpg20151016_085545.jpgmallet with handle.jpg

I happen to like mallets. Everyone in my shop I made. Though they all are made from wood. Mine or all pecan or bodark. I like what you did here. I'm not particularly wild about the green, but all to their own on color. But, the handle design and all is great! And, as you said free is good! Free is always good.

You can be proud of that one, John. I was looking at a similar mallet the other day and wondering if I could find thick walled brass tubing to make one. The one I looked at had a thru handle and it looked like the brass tube had 1/2" thick walls. Either that or it was a casting.

The transition from the head to the handle is spot on. Very nicely done. The detailing on the front is pretty spiffy as well. I have a little shop fox mallet that's about the same size and its been real handy, I'm betting you'll like this one a lot.

Heck you say " it will do" well if you ain't happy with it, I sure can provide a very safe home for it and it will be used and cared for. So feel free to get rid of it if you like. ;). Lol

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Carving mallet. Very nice. I have made several small hammers from brass. Before I had a lathe I would drill a hole in the piece and insert a bolt. That would be chucked in the drill press. I use files for turning tools. Usually, I just drilled and tapped the mallet/hammer head then force threaded the wood handle into that. But, yers is much prettier than wat I do. :thumb: