small brass hammer collaboration

I made this with Lucas the other day. He drilled and faced off the brass and I made the handle (walnut). He actually turned two. His shop teacher asked if I'd make him one too. This one was his. It's made from a piece of 1" rod stock. I traded him a chunk of the 2" for the 1". I'm stoked Luke is taking machine shop. He asked the other day if I'd start looking for a welder and a metal lathe. His teacher is planning on retiring in a couple more years and they are doing away with the program.:(

brass hammer.jpg

Last edited:
Great hammer John not so great that the school is dropping the program. That part is just upsetting and I believe someday society will pay for it.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Thats a nice hammer. It looks really useful for a lot of light duty, non-maring hammering around the shop. The shop courses are disappearing, it's a shame. Society, to a degree, is already experiencing a surplus of college degrees and a dearth of people with training in the trades. I notice want adds for mechanics, and electricians run steady. My neighbor teaches electrical thru a union program, that may be another avenue to the skilled trades.

The shop stuff is a bummer. My BIL works on the business side of a local car parts manufacturing company. I have a friend that's a tool and die maker that told Lucas when he gets to be a Senior he can start his apprenticeship with him. I was telling my BIL about it and he told me they can't find qualified T and D makers and when they do they are starting out at 30 to 35 and hour. He said they have a plant in Ky and have started training within because the shortage is so bad.