Friday, isn't it?

Peter Rideout

After a good soaking yesterday, it's looking like a fine fall weekend on Canada's east coast.
Outdoor jobs, comfort food, farmers market, maybe open up some more empty space in the barn and shop in the hopes of building something in there!
Enjoy! :wave:

We do "beggar's night" here in Des Moines...that's trick or treating on the 30th instead of the Halloween!! :huh: :doh:Makes no sense to me, but has been this way for decades so that will consume tonight. Shop time in the morning tomorrow turning ornaments and a few bowls. Then the wife, the girl and I are heading to lunch somewhere and doing some early xmas shopping at some local shops. Sunday will be more shop time along with yardwork and later in the day grilling brats with onions and peppers with homemade coleslaw for the Packer v Bronco game.

Dinner with SWMBO tonight, then watching more World Series (Go Royals!). Tomorrow I have some yard work to do, then will be testing out some engravings on some plaques. Taking the grandson Trick or Treating tomorrow night. More shop time on Sunday over grandson naps.

Shop time today, mostly CNC related, if you can imagine that! I finished cutting a box yesterday and have a some sanding to do on it. I'll run a test cut in MDF for a wine bottle glass holder while I'm sanding. We have a dinner guest tonight - former co-worker of Bobbie who really likes the frozen margaritas I make!

Saturday will be some shop time, hopefully the final cut on the wine bottle thingie. We're planning to have lunch at George & Louie's, a locally owned restaurant. Then, back home to let lunch settle!

Sunday will be the usual - newspaper with our morning coffee and tea - brunch - NASCAR - lupper - chill.

Spent all last week splitting wood. Got 2 full loads split on the old IH truck. Was going to start my swap project but was to tired at end of each day. Been back at school for a week now, just saw Ted's post that he is getting serious on his swap project :eek::eek: Holy cow batman Is gots to gets started!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::huh:

So, rain tomorrow in the shop. No rain tomorrow, splitting wood.
Sunday, Audrey's first birthday, cannot miss that event!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumb:

wedding this evening, actually 4 pm, not close, so a lot of driving in Long Island rush hour traffic.
then my favorite holiday, Im well stocked with die cast toys and costume jewelry(I purchased all new bracelets and rings this month, all new styles) not to mention tons of candy. I expect a huge turnout tomorrow.(700-1200 kids of all ages)
My brother and sister and spouses are in from floriday for the wedding, so everyone will be at my house tomorrow also,
My sisters husbands son will come over my sisters friends from up here, my nephews, nieces, and my sil and bil and one of their children.
gonna a really full house tomorrow, should be a blast with all the kiddies trick or treating and costumes.

and everyone, no matter what age, gets something.
they come ages newborns up into late teens.

most of the older males want candy, but the teen girls like lip glosses, jewelry, etc.

for the really young babies, that cant have candy or a toy, I have little blue and pink stuffed teddy bears, like I said, everyone gets something. If the mommy carries the little babies to the door with a bag, its the mommies that want the candy, so we give them a treat also.

Im set for the next couple years for costume jewelry, got about 230 dozen total assortment.

Attachments

• treats 001.jpg
    treats 001.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 18
  • treats 002.jpg
    treats 002.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 20
  • treats 003.jpg
    treats 003.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 18
  • treats 004.jpg
    treats 004.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 16
  • treats 005.jpg
    treats 005.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 16
  • treats 006.jpg
    treats 006.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Interesting activities. Do want to know more about 'lupper', Bill Arnold. :rofl:

Nothing special here. Actually enjoying not having any drama in my life for a change.

Laundry needs doing. Maybe some effort on the CNC, if there is any energy. The drill here is to lay low to let the foot heal. Get rest. Work in some exercise without overdoing anything. The day will come when I can again proceed without so many limitations. Meanwhile, I am chilling.

...my favorite holiday, Im well stocked with die cast toys and costume jewelry(I purchased all new bracelets and rings this month, all new styles) not to mention tons of candy. I expect a huge turnout tomorrow.(700-1200 kids of all ages)...

Wow, Allen, that quite a collection of treats - and 700~1200 kids? That's almost unimaginable for me!

Where we are, we'll likely not get any t-or-t'ers, unless my niece brings her kids over to show off their costumes. It'll just be a quiet evening at home.

Getting serious about swap project. Got some scheduling conflicts ahead so I better get going and decide what to make.

OK, I'll call you and we can help each other out with ideas as well as a boot in the butt :D

Working on a bed for one of my grand daughters (Josephine)

Stupid trees are dropping leaves all over my yard again. The maples, birches, hickory, and poplar are ok. they drop pretty fast within a week or 2. It's the stinking oak trees at drop about 1 million leaves every day until spring :tantrum::bang:

We live in the woods so the most trick or treaters we have ever had (not including grandkids) is about 2. The whole town goes to the town village and descends on the poor folks that live there. One of my daughters that lives in the village has about 800 or so kids show up.

Sunday is Church then off to my grandson Issac's birthday party.

Hoping to finish up some things for others so I can start on the next piece for me :crossed:. The fall winds are here and the skies are beautiful. All the smog gets blown out.

...trees are dropping leaves all over my yard again. The maples, birches, hickory, and poplar are ok. they drop pretty fast within a week or 2. It's the stinking oak trees at drop about 1 million leaves every day until spring :tantrum::bang:..

Yeah, I've been cleaning up the yard about every other day for the past couple weeks. Beech & maple trees are nearly bare now. Hickories are about half done, but the oaks have really just started. They'll still have some leaves left on them by February.

I bought a new tow-behind leaf vac for the tractor this year (DR's biggest one) to replace the virtually worn-out 20 year old Agri-Fab. Wow, what a difference! I'm still filling it up about three times each day. It sure beats raking & blowing the leaves around! I have about 30 trees in the yard, plus I've got forest on three sides of my yard, so there's plenty of leaves to process.

No trees here, but plenty of tumbleweeds. I've been picking them up and stacking them up on the hill. Burnt a big ole pile the other day. Got another big ole pile ready to go for tomorrow.

The county opens up 'open burning' a couple times a year when the humidity is forecasted to be low and they have teams on standby in case anybody really screws up. You have to get a permit, but I know some of my idiot neighbors don't.

Next year, I'm doing a patrol a couple times a week with a hoe just to kill these weeds before they get too big. Some of these this year were enormous.

Still got a bunch I didn't get to stacking up, but I'll work at them a little bit of a time and hope for a spring burn.

Wow, Allen, that quite a collection of treats - and 700~1200 kids? That's almost unimaginable for me!

Where we are, we'll likely not get any t-or-t'ers, unless my niece brings her kids over to show off their costumes. It'll just be a quiet evening at home.

we just got back from wedding, my nephew is coming over with his kids to go trick/treating here tomorrow, and like you said, to show off their costumes.
I think its a lot easier for kids to go around here as the homes are on 40x105 plots of land. kids can hit 10 houses in 3 minutes.
Where there is a lot of land, and huge plots, guess its a lot of work for parents to take kids around.

Friday night we played a big pre-Halloween costume party at one of our favorite local taverns. Lots of fun, and afterward I was told that was the biggest crowd they'd had in the place in a long time.

Saturday looks like it'll be mostly yard work. I need to trim some shrubs and check the garden (which I haven't even looked at in a week or more) to see if there are any more tomatoes ready to pick. The days are getting shorter and colder, so the tomato plants aren't gonna be around for much longer. While I'm down in the garden I'll dispatch any weeds that have popped up as the result of the recent rains.

I also need to clean up the 5 guitars I used at the gig last night. The fake blood on my costume wasn't completely dry when we started playing, and I know I got some on the guitars. :D Here's the strap from the white Strat:

Bloody Strap 800.jpg

Sunday will probably be a combination of more yard work mixed with ample doses of chillin' and grillin'. :bbq:

we just got back from wedding, my nephew is coming over with his kids to go trick/treating here tomorrow, and like you said, to show off their costumes.
I think its a lot easier for kids to go around here as the homes are on 40x105 plots of land. kids can hit 10 houses in 3 minutes.
Where there is a lot of land, and huge plots, guess its a lot of work for parents to take kids around.

So how did it go Allen? Did you set a new record? Lucky kids in your neighbourhood.

a bit suprising. very dead until around 4:30 5 when it started to get dark.
no more than 4-5 hundred kids. Expected tons more.
And it died quickly by 7 -7:15 where as usually the older kids, 12-15 come late, once we sat down and ate dinner at 7, very few came and after 8, no one. More and more of the schools are sp;onsoring the safe Halloween stuff, parties, etc......Im well stocked for next year.
And then we had to suffer through the mets losing, so that was a sour note to end the evening.
my brother is still here, leaving later this afternoon, maybe well do brunch with him later.
Not sure when Ill see him again.

Last edited: