Plaques, plaques, plaques...

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I hit the auction again, scored on a bunch of sign plaques. They are just mdf core, planning to do some carving and color fill them, probably should order a little sign mask. May try doing some engraved pieces to mount on top of some.

blackplaque.jpgblackplaque1.jpgblueplaques.jpgmiscplaques.jpgsilverplaque.jpgsilverplaqueback.jpgtopazplaque.jpg

Most cases have 12 in each case, about 76 plaques total.

So, What is sign mask?

And this is probably hijacking the thread, but is there a way to make a sign out of MDF that would be suitable for outdoor use?

So, What is sign mask?

And this is probably hijacking the thread, but is there a way to make a sign out of MDF that would be suitable for outdoor use?

Paint Mask, mask your work and cut through, then paint and peal the mask. Avery A8128 is what was recommended to me.
http://www.sandwplastics.com/Sign-S...-S-White-Paint-Mask/c1_37_25_42_43/index.html
http://averyvinyl.com/A1828-S-WHITE-PAINT-MASK-1828-AVERY-PAINT-MASK-A1828S.htm
http://www.beacongraphics.com/supplies/paintmask.html

I just ordered the 15" x 50 yd from Beacon above for $106 (includes shipping).

For MDF, I'm guessing you'd need to seal it well unless it's a marine grade.

I peeled a some of the paint mask off today. Overall I'm impressed with how well it worked.
2015-11-07 12.01.28.jpg 2015-11-07 12.01.32.jpg

I did have some peeling of the plaques finish with the mask, so looks like I either need to use a rubber cement idea I read about, or seal the finish with a clear coat before sticking on the paint mask.
2015-11-07 12.01.36.jpg 2015-11-07 12.01.44.jpg 2015-11-07 12.01.49.jpg

I'll use the backside and other areas of this plaque for some more testing.

At least you didn't screw up a really nice 24x24 glueup of Cherry - both sides - faced twice on one side - like I DID.

I seal with rattle can shellac - 2-3 coats, sand last coat with 220 - let is dry overnight. Never peeled off any of the finish.

What brand are you using?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brent - MDF will not make it outdoors. There is a product called Extira. It is an exterior grade of MDF. Far more heavy than MDF and about 4-5 times more expensive. I am pretty sure I paid a little over $100 for a 1" thick sheet. It took two people to move it. I could not pick it up, I had to drag it. I made a sign component in 2013 and it still looks like new. I have never used MDF outside before, but I DO believe and listen to the pro signmakers on the 3D Sign Forum. I do have experience with Extira. There is another product called Medex - but contrary to popular belief it is NOT an exterior product. Medex is for interior high moisture environments like bathrooms.
Anchor-post.jpg
This is Extira. This Anchor is 23 inches tall, 23 inches wide and 2 inches thick - made in 2 halves and glues together with Titebond III. I gave it 2-3 coats of Jay Cookes Sign Primer, 2-3 coats of Ben Moore Black exterior latex/acrylic. In this picture it is not finish painted.

Sorry to hijack, but Brent started it.