Veneer question

Rob Keeble

I put this here mainly because i wanted to make sure to get attention of those who have had experience with veneer.

For those of you that have done veneering, and cut veneer , my question is do you think that a drag knife on a cnc could cut out shapes on veneer?

In the event that you are not aware of what a drag knife is here is a video of it cutting leather on a cnc table.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMoRUZnvbXw

My thoughts were leather is altogether a different material and knives cut it normally. I am wondering if it would do veneer ?

Would love some opinions or experience on this.

I realise you could cut the veneer with a bit by routing out the part you want, i am specifically wondering if the drag knife type of setup would do it.

So do the Shapeoko and OX guys think their level of cnc machine will drag a drag knife?

I've read on other forums that some folks use a drag knife with a Shapeoko. It depends on the material. Most of the veneer I have in stock is solid wood, so I would use an end mill to cut it. I can see where a drag knife might work OK on paper-backed veneers since there's the additional support.