Thistle Box for ...

Ted Calver

Staff member
....the snack lady.
While the lathe was being cleaned off (stuff piled onto the table saw) for the swap project, this piece of burl stabbed me in the arm for the last time and got turned into a little box for the missus.
TURNING-2105_005C.jpg
Yesterday, I mounted it between centers using a screw chuck into the burl end with a short enough hole that the screw bottomed out before the prickles on the cap got damaged. Roughed out the outside, added a tennon and then sawed off the burl cap with a thin kerf pull saw, leaving the screw attached to the cap for re-turning later. Mounted the bottom blank securely in the chuck and hollowed it out with the Kobra.
bowl 004.jpgbowl 003.jpg

This burl has been dry for years and was hard as a rock. Cleaned up the inside with a heavy drop nose scraper and a sanding pad on the end of a forstner extension. A little lip will mesh with the top. Sanded to 360 and applied a coat of Watco natural.
bowl 009.jpgbowl 011.jpg

Buffed it out today with tripoli, white diamond and Renaissance wax. I needed to cover up the hole made by the screw chuck and gave the missus a choice of burl or ebony. She liked the ebony one better. With all the burl in this I probably should have played with some Transtint dye, but it came out OK anyways.

BOX 014.jpgBOX 015.jpgBOX 022.jpg
Turned out roughly 6 3/4" wide and 8 1/2" high. I think it will see duty as an M&M container next to the snack lady's chair....just out of my reach. Thanks for looking.

TURNING-2105_006C.jpgTURNING-2105_025C.jpg

Very cool my kind of turning too. Way too good for M&M s you need chocolates in there that are in keeping with the woodworking and the wood. ;)
Would be a really nice jerky bowl and I don't mean that stuff sold at truck stops in plastic bags.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

:score: :headbang:

nicely done indeed. The screw chuck thought the burl is a winning idea.

With all the burl in this I probably should have played with some Transtint dye, but it came out OK anyways.

"OK" :rofl: Seriously I'd have been scared to dye it because its clearly a winner without and experiments.. well.. yup...

I looked it over again and the workmanship is outstanding, the burl bowl is, like I said before, absolutely beautiful. But the top... it matches great is well made but the figure on the lid gives me the creeps :eek: Reminds me of the movie tremors. All these slug monsters coming out of the ground.:hide:

You made my grand daughter run from the room screaming :rofl::rofl: