Finally I took the plunge

Rob Keeble

No its not a CNC but for years I have wanted one and today I picked up this baby when we could not get a Friend of mines very old Stihl saw to run. I need a saw at the new place, in reality only for a small job, but for so long I have wanted my own saw to be able to cut bowl blanks when the opportunities arise and there have been many that I could not take advantage of. So now I can. :)

Its not the best its also recons but for US$ 100 I think it was a deal Poulan Pro 50cc PP5020AV

View attachment 93293

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1447210971971.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1447210971971.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 42
LOL! You know I envy you. I've only had an electric one for about 15 years now. Probably use it once a year, but one of these days I'm going to have a tree go down and need something with more power.

I didn't think they let you live in Canada without a chainsaw? :huh:

Live and learn! Congrats! Have fun and be safe!

I didn't think they let you live in Canada without a chainsaw? :huh:!

Chainsaw is optional, axe is mandatory at least on the west coast, back east they might do things differently - since they have hardwoods and the only hardwoods this side of the divide were quakies (except on the coast but that's a different country basically). I think in Toronto you're also required to be able to perform the grand and royal dance of the moose complete with authentic moose calling before taking up residence. In BC we'd already eaten most of them so they called it off over here cause no one could pass the moose calling test.

Thanks guys Ryan you killing me lol.
Never had chance to get it running yesterday will get oil and gas an chain lube and give it a go later today after Remembrance ceremony today.
No business for me today I declare this my own special day off ;)

Chainsaws, like table saws, so dangerous. Like our lifes, dangerous to pursue. Educate yourself about it, when things happen (like a kickback on a table saw, a blink of an eye is sloooooooow, compared to the way things happen!). Chaps, chainsaw chaps to be specific are one of the most advantageous things you could buy with safety glasses already being a given. Here is a good display of how they work and what they can save. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0ejn7wB9vM
Be careful my friend, enjoy your new freedom you could now drop a tree on your NN house!

Thanks Jonathan.
I got a few of the protection items. Still need to get some chaps saw some but were crappy.

Unfortunately had to take my machine back tonight and swap it.
First the box had wrong manual fixed that with a download and print.
Then took blade and tried to run it by hand on the bar. Mmmmm blade would not seat, closer inspection and got to see bar was pinched in some places. Then discovered a few blade guide teeth were damaged don't know how but I have 1year warranty so I was not going to mess with it and a file.
Got another this time it has a brand new bar and Oregon chain. So tomorrow is another day will try the dry fit again ( did it in the store tonight too) and take it from there.

I joined the club last year when I bought a chainsaw at HD. It's an electric chainsaw, however, so the Macho Society made me turn in my membership card. It is the lowest powered, Homelite chain saw that HD offers, but it cuts an 8" branch with no trouble at all, so is sufficient for my use. That little Poulan should do you well.

Thanks Jonathan.
I got a few of the protection items. Still need to get some chaps saw some but were crappy...

I highly recommend the Labonville 850KP chaps. Excellent quality at a good price:

http://www.labonville.com/Regular-Chainsaw-Safety-Chaps-Parts-_c_78.html

Here's a video demonstrating the 850KP chaps in action:

http://www.labonville.com/Labonville-Chainsaw-Chaps_ep_59.html

I also always wear these when using my chainsaw. The hard hat might be a bit of overkill, but it's a handy platform for the visor and earmuffs:

http://www.labonville.com/Labonville-Chainsaw-Safety-Helmet-System--570H_p_282.html

Thanks Vaughn thats just what i am looking for and need. I remembered a discussion about this many years ago and i remembered your mentioning them then. Now to find them in Canada or i will just order from US and wait for them to arrive.

I have a very healthy fear of this machine and the process. Certainly wont be cutting any trees down.

Anyone know who manufactures the ones Lee Valley sells. Problem i see is they quote a spec but cannot find the same or similar specification on Laboneville site. Would be really convenient for me if they happened to be the same manufacturer. You would think there would be Canadian distributors of Labonville chaps given the number of trees we have and the Lumber/Forest Industry.

In addition to the cautions on using safety gear it's a good idea to read up on safe use practices. I have to keep reminding myself to stay out of the line of fire. Keep your body off to the side and don't lean in with your face over the spinning blade. Learn what causes kickback and avoid those situations.

In addition to the cautions on using safety gear it's a good idea to read up on safe use practices. I have to keep reminding myself to stay out of the line of fire. Keep your body off to the side and don't lean in with your face over the spinning blade. Learn what causes kickback and avoid those situations.

This is solid advice. Basically, the arc of danger is in the same plane as the bar and chain.
In these parts, some very good short safety courses are offered through Farm Safety NS and the woodlot owners association. I'm sure there are equivalent organizations in Ont. Time well spent.
And to begin with, as someone pointed out, lots of online resources.