Wolf Box Swap Project

Nice.

The little till in it is a nice touch as well. Just IMHO the carving came out really nice, when I think how long that would take me to do by hand.. a CNC for roughing at least looks vaguely attractive :D

Ryan, for me it is not so much in terms of how long, but in terms of yes or no.

It simply would never happen for me without the CNC.

I have no intentions to ever pass anything off as hand carved.

Even so, this is a different skill set in it's own right, and there is no need to try to be something it's not.

I don't try to compare to hand carved - this is just a different process.

Absolutely! I was just thinking there was some opportunities for synergy if one were so inclined, and pondering the effort required to do something similar in a more traditional way.

Absolutely!

I know of some that take the CNC relief carvings to the next level and do all the undercutting and adding detail.

I did a relief carving of the last supper and tried my hand at some of that. The carving was from before I fixed my machine, was REALLY hard wood and my desire to get it done was just not there. Now that my machine is in better shape - and even moreso with the new machine, I have more desire.

As a matter of fact Dan Sawatsky is a proponent of that, but at a different level. His is more sculpture than carving.

On another forum I frequent there is a guy that does fabulous carvings from scratch (no CNC) and he uses rotary tools - dremel to do his work. That is what I tried. Still another skill in itself. If I were to go to the next level - that is where I would go. I actually do use the dremel to do some cleanup and detail now. Still, I don't call it hand carved.

Leo that is amazing. Great look, and texture. You fellas are doing a number on me may have to try the CNC route as I cannot carve,hands don't allow it.
David

Hi Leo.
That came out really great, a question if I may, the text looks laser burnt is it so or is it CNC milled?

BTW I've just sent you the recipient's adress for it, he's going to be happy, happy.

Leo, that is a beautiful piece of work. I love the attention to detail and the verse in the back as well as your sig line on the bottom and the tray's naming. Just overall an outstanding piece. I may never own a cnc machine, but really lust after a cnc plasma as well as router. Even an epilogue laser but time and money don't seem to agree with those decisions at this time. So I gladly watch all of you achieve great pieces of work. Thanks for sharing with wonderful photos.

Hi Leo.
That came out really great, a question if I may, the text looks laser burnt is it so or is it CNC milled?

BTW I've just sent you the recipient's adress for it, he's going to be happy, happy.

It is all CNC router milled - including the text. The text was grooved with a 60 degree V-Groove cutter. The dark coloring is a result of the stain and the glazing.

I got the PM and will be shipping by weekend.