the hardest finish to strip ?

Not quite Roger and Bob. there is a finish out there that will drive you crazy trying to get off. if I had to strip a piece of furniture with this finish it would almost cost 4 times more then a normal finish.

David hit it on the head, milk paint, made from eggs is also used as the build up for grench Provencal furniture. I've fried every stripper and nothing touches the deep recesses of this stuff. It comes down to oxotic - acid and 3 m pad then hot soapy water.then sanding.
2nd is boild linseed old once hard and applied properly becomes a bullet proff substance to the strippers.

This post just gave me an ah ha moment. I saw some kitchen tongs exactly like I used to make for sale on food site. The only difference was that the ends had been dipped in white milk paint. I wondered at the time why milk paint had been used, but I think you have given me the answer....the stuff seems bullet proof and will do a good job hiding the glue line. There were also some wooden bowls that had the outside bottom dipped. Maybe worth a try, unless there are draw backs.
https://food52.com/shop/products/2188-dipped-tongs

Last edited:
Hmmmm, shellac maybe ?? :dunno:

Seems to me it gets kind of gummy when I've tried to strip it in the past. I don't have much experience refinishing though.

I am not a finish expert by any logic. However, when I want to remove shellac I just use alcohol*. My dad showed me this when I was just a kid in grade school. He stripped a writing desk and refinished it, the original shellac had reticulated in spots.

* Not Isopropyl Alcohol (like for back rubs) but DNA (Denatured Alcohol).

Enjoy,
JimB

David hit it on the head, milk paint, made from eggs is also used as the build up for grench Provencal furniture. I've fried every stripper and nothing touches the deep recesses of this stuff. It comes down to oxotic - acid and 3 m pad then hot soapy water.then sanding.
2nd is boild linseed old once hard and applied properly becomes a bullet proff substance to the strippers.

No experience, but I hear that there is powdered product you mix with water that works. I looked (googled) and came up with two products: Behlen Masters P.D.E paint remover and Real Milk Paint Powdered Paint Remover.