Table Saw Chip 'n Dip Board

Ted Calver

Staff member
This one was a little out of my table saw comfort zone, but it turned out to be quite tame and kinda cool. I saw someone selling snack boards out of slab lumber with a built in dish to hold dip, or chips or whatever. I couldn't see trying to balance a long board to spin outboard on the lathe to make the dish and don't have a CNC, so an internet search turned up a variety of methods to use a table saw to make coves, chair seats and even bowls. This method is a combination of some of those. I started with a 2' x 4' piece of cheapo 1/2" Borg plywood, marked the center of an arbitrary (just had to be wider than my slab)16" circle and cut it out using a jig on the band saw. Taped a piece of thin cardboard around the cut out to make up for the width of the kerf and then put the circle back in the piece. Then I centered it over the top dead center of the table saw blade and clamped the outer portion to the table with the blade lowered. Using double sticky tape and a cross piece hold down screwed into the circle, I attached the roughly 1 1/2" thick natural edge cherry slab to the circle upside down and centered where I wanted the dish.
Board 008.jpgDISH-BOARD 004.jpg
Then, just like making cove molding (so I'm told) turned the saw on and raised the blade until it touched the bottom of the plywood circle and rotated the captive piece a full turn. Cranked the blade (a flat top grind) up a little bit after each rotation until the cut went through the plywood into the cherry and the dish was about 1 1/4" deep. I shut off the saw and pulled out the piece to check the depth every few turns. The cut was very smooth and didn't take much sanding with a 3" sanding disc to get it smooth. You can tell by the little nub that I was a bit off estimating top dead center, but it wasn't much of a problem to chisel off and sand smooth....just like a bowl bottom.
DISH-BOARD 005.jpgDISH-BOARD 010.jpgDISH-BOARD 015.jpg

Ran both sides through the drum sander, softened all the edges, sanded to 220, slapped on a coat of Doctor's Woodshop Walnut Finishing Oil and voilà! A cool natural edge, avant-garde, neo rustic snack platter for whatever you want to serve up. Both sides of the board are usable and when the walnut oil dries I'll put on a coat of the same walnut oil beeswax paste I use on my salad bowls and buff it to a nice soft luster.
DISH-BOARD 021.jpgDISH-BOARD 023.jpg DISH-BOARD 027.jpg

Last edited:
That is very cool, I would use this to make Christmas presents to take home for Christmas this year, but I fear they would fill my luggage rather quickly.

Cheers!