Coasters

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I recently ordered some cork coaster material and decided to try a test fit of a template drawing I'll be using for other designs. I also tried out a rolling ruler template I found on the vectric forum, this one is in inches, 12 in total. I might redo it to start and end at the same point for measuring longer distances.

2015-11-22 17.54.18.jpg 2015-11-22 17.54.34.jpg

inch rolling coaster.jpg

OK, so I'm sitting here tonight relaxing...right. I kept thinking about a project to run for a couple of neighbors and thought about the coaster you posted here. This is a good exercise for circular arrays to convert it to a 12" roller.

Coaster_a.jpg

Cool project. Bill has finished it for you will make a handy gadget if you add a stick drill a hole add a bearing you can walk and measure.

Thanks for the cork link. Cool idea. The price of their metal bits like spoons and ice cream scoops also seems reasonable.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

The cork inserts from Woodturnerscatalog look good but will be too big for the revised size of this coaster. The original diameter is 4", so a 3.875" insert works. Revising the coaster to a 12" circumference will yield a diameter of 3.81972" (12/pi=3.8197186342054880584532103209403). One would need an insert more along the lines of 3.5" or a bit larger.

Screenshot 2015-11-24 13.17.06.jpg

I added half inch ticks to the latest revision.

Coaster_a.jpg

coaster file

The cork inserts from Woodturnerscatalog look good but will be too big for the revised size of this coaster. The original diameter is 4", so a 3.875" insert works. Revising the coaster to a 12" circumference will yield a diameter of 3.81972" (12/pi=3.8197186342054880584532103209403). One would need an insert more along the lines of 3.5" or a bit larger.

Bummer, well thanks for posting your file. I was wondering how to do the different tick marks, like your solution. :thumb:

I've been using the heck out of my test one. really like the size and weight of it. I've got one at my desk at work that is the cork only and tends to stick to my glasses. I'll find it in the hallway on the way back from getting refills not realizing it had stuck and came off half way there.
2015-11-23 22.58.53.jpg

Bummer, well thanks for posting your file. I was wondering how to do the different tick marks, like your solution. :thumb:

I've been using the heck out of my test one. really like the size and weight of it. I've got one at my desk at work that is the cork only and tends to stick to my glasses. I'll find it in the hallway on the way back from getting refills not realizing it had stuck and came off half way there. ...

Hmmm.....

Design change note: Add internal pocket for lead weights. :huh: