And the Katahdin begins

My bad, sad day when one cannot get a good job from a sub. Around here most small bus are struggling with this kind of issue everyday with staff. Solutions are not easy with our labor law.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Rob, glad you asked about the unicorn electrician, I also had never heard that term before.

Chuck, must not have been in floor heat in the slab if they were able to grind that much off.

Do you have a projected finish date?

Rob, glad you asked about the unicorn electrician, I also had never heard that term before.

Chuck, must not have been in floor heat in the slab if they were able to grind that much off.

Do you have a projected finish date?

I project it will be done when we finish.:thumb::thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:
No on the floor heat some bad advice from a unicorn plumber made that disappear.

I do not intend to derail the discussion or to attempt a hijack. This video is running some other forums. It is made by John Neeman, maker of traditional woodworking tools. It is his cabin in the forest, built from scratch and is very reminiscent of the effort that went into the Katahdin.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=ErGQ0rXkn74

Thanks for that video Bruce was fantastic, I wish I was 27 years younger then I would give it a go. Would absolutely love a home like that. Oh to dream. ;)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I don't think the anger management classes workers
e5b26764f61463febebaa88f372b7ecb.jpg

What is going to replace it Chuck?
If you were closer I'd let you have the Hitachi framing gun I have, used it a couple of times, but it mostly just sits.

Cheers!

Finished up the ceiling/floor today
2058c53697b8772e876767c644d51fec.jpg

b531e8144fc6a97da4370ecf54752e16.jpg

Some changes in the kitchen made it so the beams placed for the lights are not going to work so these got put in to move the lights.
d953fedff169c0636368eddb8352438a.jpg

Last edited:
Bummer on the lighting business. Did that require you to dismantle something you'd already finished, or just place the structure in a different spot?

Bummer on the lighting business. Did that require you to dismantle something you'd already finished, or just place the structure in a different spot?

We did not have to take anything apart just come up with a new plan on the fly. How ever today as I had lunch I realized that our electrician went to KRHS and can't do math. He drilled one of the holes for the boxes in that small cross beam a 1/2" out of center. That's gonna have to be taken apart and a new piece made to fix it.

We didn't like how you can see right outside. Katahdin's plan calls for 3/4" 1/4 round molding trim down the roof and around each beam. We didn't like that plan.
uploadfromtaptalk1458082475983.jpg
Or how the cedar looked above the false rafter
uploadfromtaptalk1458082498594.jpg
So we came up with a fix of our own
uploadfromtaptalk1458082517715.jpg
All done
uploadfromtaptalk1458082532459.jpg
We had 3 of these boards so far that have been taken out of someone else job and sold to us.
uploadfromtaptalk1458082544583.jpg

Last edited:
M
We did not have to take anything apart just come up with a new plan on the fly. How ever today as I had lunch I realized that our electrician went to KRHS and can't do math. He drilled one of the holes for the boxes in that small cross beam a 1/2" out of center. That's gonna have to be taken apart and a new piece made to fix it.

I learned carpentry from my dad. He taught me to never trust electricians and to really dislike plumbers (who had zero respect for our framing). Looks like you had one of those guys. Great recovery! I would really like to have worked with you on this house.

Those are the kinds of units that we have in Japan, they work great for AC, but heat, well they can really run up your electric bill.

Are they 220V or 110V? I have found that the 220V units much better at heating than the 110V units, but they are more expensive at the start.

The great thing about these units is that when they do die, replacement is fairly easy, because the wire, drain and coolant pipes are all used again for the next unit.
Cheers!

The plumbing for the mini splits
98acfc502321714418ea6dea2f1e7643.jpg

It looks like an electrican exploded up here
a3cd0aa76a51fe9718c441c1f4860b7e.jpg

I might make a lot of sawdust. When we are in this mode that saw will drop a thousand times a day if it drops once. And I wonder why I wear them out in less than a year's time.
As you can see this one is missing several parts and it's just about 2 years old. At this point the fence is only square to the left of the blade the guard fell off long ago. The laser never worked. The dust bag never had dust in it. and the stand is all but junk. You don't have to lock it into any of the angles or bevles the table moves to hard to need locking and the bevel pivot is beyond help. Cutting PVC board gummed them up with a fine dust that you just can't get out.
We need to replace it again but have no interest in spending another 600 to 1000 dollars on something that has a 1 year life expectancy. :bang::bang:
a68ec4c80472ce5ebb6a5dadad66aa3c.jpg

This little Dewalt saw is almost 4 I think and is still going strong. The adjustments are starting to get a bit stiff but it still moves.
bbe12db0a4426ef34ba653a7ef1eb215.jpg

Leftover v-match in the basement.

6688e435d74e2fd8a129a4b10e327069.jpg

Last edited: